Sign in to follow this  
Ityan

How to Install TalonRO on a MAC using WineSkin

How to Install TalonRO on a MAC OS using WineSkin

HlsQKF6.png

Requirements:

• A copy of the whole TalonRO Installation Folder from a Windows Machine (Usually located at C:\Games\TalonRO)
  • Flash Drive/External HDD to store the TalonRO Folder
  • Patience

1) Download and Install the following:
2) Open WineSkin Winery from Launchpad and click the '+' button to download an engine
Spoiler

kJoO0bb.jpg

3) Select WS9Wine1.9.19 and click 'Download and Install' and hit 'OK' (Must be version 1.9.19 as 1.9.20 and above doesn't work)

Spoiler

H5ynO60.jpg

4) Click 'Create New Blank Wrapper' and name it 'TalonRO' or whatever you like

Spoiler

yRb2KBQ.jpg

nTCEY4g.jpg

5) Choose 'Allow' If you see this prompt below:

Spoiler

aTPjPNx.jpg

6) After the wrapper has been created, Select 'View wrapper in Finder'

Spoiler

OCaFFyY.jpg

7) Right click (Press and hold on Macbooks) the wrapper you just created and select 'Show Package Contents' (In this guide I named my wrapper TalonROmac)

Spoiler

2hevJRH.jpg

8) Go to 'drive_c/Program Files/' and paste the TalonRO Installation folder

Spoiler

CEjNRTf.jpg
A4NPuhn.jpg

9) Go back to the main package contents directory and double click 'Wine Skin'

Spoiler

upwYjeX.jpg

10) Click 'Advanced' then 'Options' tab and check the following:

• Option Key Works as Alt
  • Force use of system installed XQuartz instead of using built in Wineskin11
  • Force use of wrappers quartz-wm for window decorations and not what is on the system (Checked by default)
  • Map User Mac OS X Folders in wrapper (Checked by default)
Spoiler

N1L23Ou.jpg

3JOco0a.jpg

11) Click 'Screen Options' and Follow the setup below and Click 'Done'
  • Override Wine control of Screen Settings: Override
  • Other Options: Check All
  • Override Settings: Rootless (windowed)
  • Virtual Desktop at: (Set it to your preferred resolution)
  • Installer Options: Use these settings
Spoiler

Cwty5mB.jpg

12) Go back to the 'Configuration' tab and on the Windows EXE click 'Browse' and then locate, select and choose 'Setup.exe' (drive_c/Program Files/TalonRO/)
Spoiler

gQBBaFM.png
r64syIK.jpg

13) Click 'Test Run' and your Ragnarok Setup should show up. Now change the Graphics Device and Resolution to its appropriate values and hit Apply > OK.

A prompt will show up after hitting OK, choose 'Cancel' option.
Spoiler

igT40gA.jpg

14) Now change the Windows EXE again but this time choose 'TalonPatch.exe' (drive_c/Program Files/TalonRO/). Click 'Test Run' again and the TalonRO Launcher should show up.

Spoiler

ySlmdAJ.jpg

7SRMGyJ.jpg

gEFhBuh.png

15) You can now close everything and thats it! You can launch TalonRO via Launchpad.

But before playing, on your macOS go to System Preference > Keyboard and check 'Use F1,F2, etc. keys as standard function keys' (So you can use F1-F12 in game)
Spoiler

szY0CI5.jpg

rdTY4ei.png

HlsQKF6.png

NOTES

• You can try direct installation method if you dont have a windows machine. Just search around on how to do it.
  • Wineskin Folder can be located using Finder > Go > Home > Applications > Wine Skin
  • This method was tested only on OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) and macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • Play around with different resolutions. I set mine to 1152x720 (both in wine and ragnaroksetup) since I'm on a 13 inch Macbook Pro
  • You can change the Icon in the Configuration Tab
  • Graphics and text might look funny (Not the best method but it works and its free)
  • If you want to dual client or more, you have repeat the same process again
  • If you want to patch your client, just change the Windows EXE to 'RagnarokPatch.exe' and once the patching process is done, revert it back to 'TalonPatch.exe'.

Thanks for taking time to read the guide. Hope it helped you. Feel free to comment/add suggestions. Have a nice day and rok on! :) 

Edited by Ityan
  • Like 8

How does it work with more than 2 clients on? I experienced that the graphics/computer-power of a Macbook isn't good enough to process more then 2 clients and it starts to heat up very fast (I use a similar program called "WineBottler"). Does your program change that?

16 hours ago, Glaimdir said:

How does it work with more than 2 clients on? I experienced that the graphics/computer-power of a Macbook isn't good enough to process more then 2 clients and it starts to heat up very fast (I use a similar program called "WineBottler"). Does your program change that?

Its just single client. You have to make a new wrapper again in order to dual client and another if you want triple client and so on. I just tried triple client on my early 2015 MBP and it runs just fine but yes it gets hot. :D Better to play on a windows machine. I just use this when I'm away from home.

Edited by Ityan
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 5:46 AM, melvincruz said:

i cant find wineskin 1.9.19 download anymore

check the main window of your Wineskin app. if that is not on the list, it means you already have downloaded it. if so, you skip steps1-3 and proceed directly to step 4. 

The TalonRO large installer also worked fine on PlayOnMac. What also worked fine was downloading iRO and kRO and installing them / updating them via PlayOnMac, and then installing the TalonRO small installer.

What I would like to know: On what Mac are you guys playing and how is the performance if you have more than one game-client open?

I occasionally play on a 2013 MacBook Air via Wine and I get some problems when playing with more than one client, including lagging and overheating of the laptop :(

• Sorry 1

On 31/08/2017 at 8:55 PM, Glaimdir said:

What I would like to know: On what Mac are you guys playing and how is the performance if you have more than one game-client open?

I occasionally play on a 2013 MacBook Air via Wine and I get some problems when playing with more than one client, including lagging and overheating of the laptop :(

It's good on my computer. Runs smooth enough. Honestly, it's not perfect, but RO never has been. Running a free torrent of Windows 10.1 in Parallels or Bootcamp is easy as hell, and I'm installing TalonRO on Parallels now to test, but those options work better than PlayOnMac, I think :) It'll be smoother in it's native OS. PlayOnMac often has minimisation / launch issues half the time. Lag when alt-tabbing and sometimes randomly uses heaps of processing power but doesn't particularly increase performance. PlayOnMac and CrossOver are always going to have issues occurring with even their Approved games, as Mac OS constantly sees updates.

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 11.06.12 am.png

(I boost up to 2-4GB of Virtual VRAM, but the Graphics card doesn't contain much of its own :( 1 shit thing about this computer)

Edited by SeySey666
  • Like 1