Jump to content
AsamiImako

Ragnarok @ 2K or (possibly) even 4K IN FULL SCREEN!

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Sgf said:

i tweaked a few of my settings and i fixed it, thanks for the help

Try sharing your settings here, it might help user with the same problem as you ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys. So I'm having this problem (as seen in the screen shots) and it mostly stems from Nvidia drivers it seems, but not limited to just nvidia, and this program did help the textures but caused some other problems as well. The screen shots are before dgVoodoo2 and the problems I'm having with dgVoodoo2 is sometimes the head of my champions are missing, or the body, or my head will be a cell of a wall. Not really usable but maybe I'm tweaking it wrong. Hopefully a GM will see this because I don't think it's all Nvidia related because I'm not getting these issues with other servers. Hopefully someone has some insight to what is going on.

System:

Ryzen 5 1700x , Nvidia GTX 1080, 16gb ram

 

screenTalonRO000.thumb.jpg.85ee5cd3de23d3b2c8f634c8870d7109.jpgscreenTalonRO001.thumb.jpg.26cf1bb7c302a2e51d3fabbcf22fd610.jpgscreenTalonRO002.thumb.jpg.73b3d4ffea96d03383bfc018e0581d10.jpgscreenTalonRO003.thumb.jpg.de8198d84cef82960cb1f11c90b320d9.jpgscreenTalonRO004.thumb.jpg.187bf4392f0a4bd4f52f1672bec0466c.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by Cheewee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cheewee said:

Hi guys. So I'm having this problem (as seen in the screen shots) and it mostly stems from Nvidia drivers it seems, but not limited to just nvidia, and this program did help the textures but caused some other problems as well. The screen shots are before dgVoodoo2 and the problems I'm having with dgVoodoo2 is sometimes the head of my champions are missing, or the body, or my head will be a cell of a wall. Not really usable but maybe I'm tweaking it wrong. Hopefully a GM will see this because I don't think it's all Nvidia related because I'm not getting these issues with other servers. Hopefully someone has some insight to what is going on.

System:

Ryzen 5 1700x , Nvidia GTX 1080, 16gb ram

 

screenTalonRO000.thumb.jpg.85ee5cd3de23d3b2c8f634c8870d7109.jpgscreenTalonRO001.thumb.jpg.26cf1bb7c302a2e51d3fabbcf22fd610.jpgscreenTalonRO002.thumb.jpg.73b3d4ffea96d03383bfc018e0581d10.jpgscreenTalonRO003.thumb.jpg.de8198d84cef82960cb1f11c90b320d9.jpgscreenTalonRO004.thumb.jpg.187bf4392f0a4bd4f52f1672bec0466c.jpg

 

 

 

 

Did u try uncheck fast memory access?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cheewee said:

Hi guys. So I'm having this problem (as seen in the screen shots) and it mostly stems from Nvidia drivers it seems, but not limited to just nvidia, and this program did help the textures but caused some other problems as well. The screen shots are before dgVoodoo2 and the problems I'm having with dgVoodoo2 is sometimes the head of my champions are missing, or the body, or my head will be a cell of a wall. Not really usable but maybe I'm tweaking it wrong. Hopefully a GM will see this because I don't think it's all Nvidia related because I'm not getting these issues with other servers. Hopefully someone has some insight to what is going on.

System:

Ryzen 5 1700x , Nvidia GTX 1080, 16gb ram

The missing / changing / garbled / wrong sprites issue is caused by fast memory access just as Dingo-kun said.

The reason why you don't get the filtering problem from other servers is they are using more recent RO clients. As you can see in the title bar of the client it's still from 2010 iirc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a problem on the sanctuary and quagmire, an idea to solve it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2018 at 2:13 AM, Dingo-kun @ Dong said:

Did u try uncheck fast memory access?

Thank you, that did it. 

  • No1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ran into another issue. I like to dual client a lot because well I hate leveling without buffs so I bring my priest with me. Well I used to be able to switch with alt+tab but it won't even show my other client now. 

Found something: I have to click task view then select Desktop 2 in order to get to my other client....

Hope they update to a new client soon. This is annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13.2.2018 at 5:58 PM, Cheewee said:

Ran into another issue. I like to dual client a lot because well I hate leveling without buffs so I bring my priest with me. Well I used to be able to switch with alt+tab but it won't even show my other client now. 

Found something: I have to click task view then select Desktop 2 in order to get to my other client....

Hope they update to a new client soon. This is annoying.

This does not appear to be a problem with the TRO client or dgvoodoo2 as it. I can Alt+Tab between my clients without any trouble. If Windows for some reason starts Ragnarok in another virtual Desktop you should check your settings for virtual Desktop in Windows 10.

Edited by DoucheEnrique

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK anyone can fix this last issue??

See how the letters get all jumbled up. I can't quite figure that one out. Tried a lot of settings but I figure one of you smart people may know.

Thanks

Edit: ahh crap the screenshot takes a normal photo lol. On my screen its showing letters messed up. Kinda looks like a white line is running down the middle of the words.

 

screenTalonRO007.jpg

Edited by Cheewee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheewee said:

...

Edit: ahh crap the screenshot takes a normal photo lol. On my screen its showing letters messed up. Kinda looks like a white line is running down the middle of the words.

Take the screenshot with Windows instead of the RO Client itself (Print Key while RO is out of focus or Snipping Tool). Using ROs internal screenshot function applies some additional filtering to the image and it will not be exactly the same as what you see on your monitor.

Edited by DoucheEnrique

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see there's been some activity on this topic! I hope it's helped many of you. As  it seems Fast Video Memory Access causes issues for most people, I've added some additional language that clarifies this only works on some machines.

To anyone having problems, just in case you didn't read it in the (now 3) places where it mentions in the OP: FAST VIDEO MEMORY ACCESS DOES NOT ALWAYS WORK. If you're seeing garbled textures or missing sprites, this is more than likely the culprit.

As for people with performance issues, there are a few things to keep in mind:

Ragnarok Online was coded in DirectX 7. That's pretty old at this point. Even with dgVoodoo translating the API calls to DirectX 11, this doesn't mean it can take advantage of new methods of gaining performance on new machines with new features. You're probably bound to a single CPU thread, and whatever driver limitations there were with machines of that era. Resolution is sort of an edge case where the game just spits out whatever options your machine says are available, unlike some games where they're hard-coded. This is why it allows you to get around the 2048x1536 limitation of DirectX 7. Since you're (maybe, probably) running RO at a larger resolution, even if it ran fine for you in a smaller window, you're still pushing more pixels around when you do so, meaning you're going to see reduced performance on lower-end systems. This is likely to be especially true on CPUs with lower clock-speeds. Remember, even in RO's  heyday we had Pentium 4 CPUs running at 3GHz, these days low-end CPUs might have more cores, but they can sometimes have pretty low (under 2GHz) clock-speeds, and RO doesn't take advantage of newer instruction sets. Even my beastly 6-Core i7 and 8GB of VRAM chokes a bit when rendering the hundreds of individual elements that make up the PCs lining main street in Prontera.

Even aside from that, on top of likely adding a bit of overhead, the API translation is probably not perfect, so that could also affect performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone got ROext to work on this?

I love the option "Remove RO window borders and lock its position." but it's not working here.

this mod fixed my white screen problem, where you need to make the shortcut with " /affinity 2 "the path you have"  -1sak1 "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any way to change the interface size? Looks very tiny on native resolution

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 8370 said:

Any way to change the interface size? Looks very tiny on native resolution

I don't think that's possible. The client would have to do the rescaling of the interface sprites but as far as I know this is not supported. Maybe it's possible to resize the interface sprites themselves and see what the client does. But I guess the internal size of the interface is fixed and mismatching sprites will just result in scrambled menus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 6:51 AM, 8370 said:

Any way to change the interface size? Looks very tiny on native resolution

If you're the tinkering sort, you could try fiddling with Windows' forced-scaling options, but chances are that'll just make it looked like a blurry 1080p at best and break the game at worst :P

On 3/9/2018 at 7:02 PM, s4w said:

anyone got ROext to work on this?

I love the option "Remove RO window borders and lock its position." but it's not working here.

this mod fixed my white screen problem, where you need to make the shortcut with " /affinity 2 "the path you have"  -1sak1 "

I honestly don't know why it wouldn't work, perhaps they both fiddle with api calls? But really if you're running in full-screen it wouldn't make a difference anyway (unless you're trying to replicate a "windowed full-screen" mode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, AsamiImako said:

 honestly don't know why it wouldn't work, perhaps they both fiddle with api calls? But really if you're running in full-screen it wouldn't make a difference anyway (unless you're trying to replicate a "windowed full-screen" mode

That's... Exactly what I wanted to do. Run 2560x1080 with the roext feature to run window mode fulfilling all screen but the windows task bar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Fenk
      Here is a quick solution on how to fix Ragnarok Online's pixelated or blurry graphics,
      particularly for NVIDIA GTX TItan 750 Ti and above users.
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Does your Ragnarok graphics look like the screenshot below?
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Even emoticons are blurred.
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      This may be due to the latest video cards to date.
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Video Cards Like: NVDIA GTX 750, 750 Ti, 770, 780, 780 Ti and above graphics card.
      Possible Reason: 
      1. Ragnarok was built for previous generation video cards (not high-end ones). It is in fact similar to teaching an old man how to use the latest gadgets such as smartphones and tablets. They can use it but it's not as clear as how young people see it. 
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      SOLUTION
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      There is a solution but it's not permanent and it is in fact easy that it's not really troublesome to do.
      BELOW ARE THE STEPS:
      Step 1. Log in to the game. Similar to how the previous screenshot is shown.

      THIS IS THE TRICKY PART. DO EXACTLY AS HOW IT IS TOLD.
      Step 2. Once you are logged in, press CTR+ALT+DELETE until the TASK MANAGER screen is shown. (see image below)

      Step 3. Don't do anything on the task manager.
      Step 4: Press ESC or Cancel once the task manager is shown. 
      Step 5: Now the graphics is fixed.

      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      I hope it helped solve your graphics problem.
       Welcome and enjoy playing TalonRO! 
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Necro
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
×