Sign in to follow this  
imbaimpulse

TalonRO curve - advice needed

Hi, so I've been playing TalonRO for about 2 months now and I have hit a stumbling block which I am sure many before me have experienced. Need some advice from the pros around here as I am on the verge of giving up :X I have tried asking some guildies but the most suggestions lead to farming

I've read countless guides and went on to create a stalker/sniper combo and am only capable of farming 3.5m/hr with current gears on my stalker.
My problem is the next stretch which is likely an SQI (either sherwood or Arte) as farming 60 hours on geffenia is pure torture. Donation for the full amount is also very likely out of the question. I really like the sniper class but understand that fully gearing a sniper is just way too expensive.
Would also like to know if there is some sort of middle ground between semi cheap gears and SQIs for OTHER classes (as for sniper, the rental balista apparently has caused me to be rejected by runs quite alot-people dont seem to like the fact that im not an arty wielder T_T). Preferably between 20-40m gears would still be considered grindable to me
Should I swap to another class as a main (like wiz or something else thats cheaper to be reasonably geared for end game content) or try to boost my farming rate as i understand 3.5m per hour is on the low side of geffenia. Notable current gears are LKH, BKagi mid, IP[0], khalitzburg shield, dragset devi bathory, gec bunnyslipper, 2xbradium brooch sting and im using BB build (just enough str for 2 hit BB, 186aspd, rest dex) and triple client while parking my priest and SL slave in town. Will be trying to make a sinx as they seem to be easily earning more than poor stalkers like myself.

Would greatly appreciate any advice (either here or through PM) on how to maximise farming efficiency or main char suggestions as I am open to trying other chars (as long as they are sought after in end game content or have strong solo-ing capacity-bio labs etc).

Edited by imbaimpulse

perfect example - you followed guides, made sniper, stalker, went geffenia and now you want to quit, because you dont like it.. (how is it possible, isnt stalker and sniper the best? they write it is!!)

answer is very simple - play what you like and not mainstream that apparently does not suit you..

new char? nope - every char is expensive to dress up. with every char, you will meet people who will not accept you if you dont have SQI - dont worry about them. find some players that use brain instead.. so it is wrong to make new char because "someone told me it is better farmer" - you will end up spending money on low grade equips and will quit the char later on anyways.. make a new char if you like to play it.

so what to do? or you have to endure that 60 hours of farming, or you will find a different way how to make money (drawing pictures, doing mid headgears, doing leeches, hunting for rare drops, mining..) or you have to find a char that you like and where you dont "endure the farming" but rather "enjoy the game"

boosting farming rate with char you dont enjoy leads nowhere - better to make less profit but enjoy the game..

so

- make char that you really enjoy - dont worry about the costs - every char is expensive - every single one.

- find normal party, not some wannabe "I-have-sqi-and-you-dont-pros"..

- play and collect the gears on a way - do ET and such, get rare drops and upgrade your equips 1by1

- try some other moneymaking methods - maybe you will like it better

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • No1 3

100% agree with Howrah, play the class you enjoy.

Making a sinx  just because it sounds like a more efficient option than your current farmer is a dead-end, unless you're sure you'll enjoy playing a sinx.

If you're unsure which class to play, you can read some guides and see if something interests you. Here I'll help you get started:

If Pallies and HPs don't interest you, it's okay. There are more classes and guides available. /ok

(I put classes that isn't Sniper since you're on the forums I assumed you've read Mos' sniper progression guide already)

There are classes that are essential to runs like ET, there are classes that can work and can be invited, and there are classes that are better off as lone wolves. The difference between the second and the last depends on your party mates, so I highly suggest you find a group of people who are open minded. Join a guild. It also helps to have a class mastered or at least be knowledgeable about it.

Lastly, if you feel like you've hit a wall from farming, take breaks in between farming sessions. Listen to podcasts or something to mix it up and not be bored by the monotonous routine. Good luck!

Edited by Dizzybords

First of all, thank you for the kind advice and suggestions.

It was my mistake to not clarify: sinx is purely for pre-sherwood zeny farming in geffenia only. I am only considering this as the last resort if I had to grind my way to my first SQI. There is no intent for other new chars for farming. Of course, I would prioritise being efficient over "fun" as it is ultimately going to take many hours of playtime. So, with that being said, if there is a method of making more than geffenia (on average) i'll gladly welcome it though i highly doubt there is any. 

The second re-rolling is for the the main. @Dizzybords Thank you for the links - I've actually already looked into them prior to posting. Priest/Devo paladin is just not for me xD As I largely cannot commit to fixed timings due to personal commitments i was thinking something more along the lines of soloing whenever i get on. perhaps something like a champion/shield chain paladin who can easily convert to roles in group content whenever i happen to see it? *idea* Also- remaking another char isnt much of a problem as I can buy leech provided there are sellers and not too many rerolls xP

Also, a more general question for you guys - how did you do it for your first SQI or is it even necessary at all for some classes? btw im not looking to be spoonfed answers. just genuinely curious what the average player does/would do in my exact situation.

Edited by imbaimpulse
  • No1 1

Bowling bash knight is also a thing.     Almost every class can farm well somewhere.  The question is where and what kind of gears do you need.   If you hate the playstyle you are more likely to quit due to getting bored doing something you don't enjoy.  This is what howrah meant.    Figure out what you like and then play that. 

It's going to take awhile.  But if you have fun doing it, then it taking 10-20% more time having fun is way better then 100% of the time hating the grind.

I can't play sin...   I just can't.   I have a vamp blacksmith and not a fan of that either.  (friend has the gears now, though he's since stopped playing)    Mage can farm with minimal gear.   In fact so can sniper.   Find a good mob map and Kite them using the Sniping shot?  the skill that pierces the mobs and increases crit chance.   That is a solo strategy and totally doable with rental ballista. 

I'm working on gearing up my priest to farm...   Cause i'm crazy.  I am not a great support player though I like to help out so i'll never be priest in an endless tower probably  but man I'm going to have fun using him to farm.  just cause.      (By great support.  you expect me to chain pneuma, or safety wall to keep a party member alive... then expect to die,  you want basic healing and buffing?  Sure. love doing that)     The truth in a lot of things.  Find what you like to do and then make money with it.   Just make sure making money with it doesn't take away the enjoyment you get out of it.

cannot agree with you more ValheruWolf. Perhaps its time i converted all stalker gear into sniper gear and find some way to earn money here and there on the sniper since i really enjoy mobbing with sharpshooting (the skill you are talking about). Thanks for all the great advice guys. I will just stick with what i enjoy most - sniper, even though i have crap gear for it hopefully the artemis wont be toooo long from now

Edited by imbaimpulse

Playing what you enjoy should be the first priority. You can make money with any character, like others previously said, but the difference whether you enjoy it or not. And I'd rather take a bit longer than spend dozens of hours bored. Also, I don't know why (reasonable) people would turn down someone with a rental Ballista. It's a great weapon!

I suggest finding a beginner friendly guild and just playing the game for your enjoyment. And with beginner friendly, I mean a guild that actually has enough beginners itself and parties up randomly and will support each other (be it with parties, advise or something else entirely) rather than a guild of people that will just tell you to go farm popular spot #526 and leave you with that.

10 hours ago, imbaimpulse said:

Also, a more general question for you guys - how did you do it for your first SQI or is it even necessary at all for some classes? btw im not looking to be spoonfed answers. just genuinely curious what the average player does/would do in my exact situation.

I hit the same wall you did 2 years ago.  So I liquidated all my gears to buy gear for these farming spots:

30 minutes at Sleepers with LK and endowed IP
30 minutes at Mavka with LK and endowed hunting spear + Joker accessory
30 minutes at Magma2 with WS vampsmith (back when it was 80m for Horn of Buffalo)
30 minutes at Anolians with sniper using endowed elven bow

That was the rotation I did once per day for a very long time.  In order of least-to-most boring: Magma2, Mavka, Anolians, Sleepers.

If you find yourself enjoying a certain kind of farming a little more that day; stay focused on it more.  Often times I found myself putting in 1-2 hours of vampsmith because the map was relatively empty.

10 hours ago, imbaimpulse said:

...As I largely cannot commit to fixed timings due to personal commitments i was thinking something more along the lines of soloing whenever i get on. 

Eventually you will hit another wall where you have farmed well, equipped 1-2 characters to the teeth and find you cannot do anything with them without committing a 2-3 hour block of time for group runs (that don't suck).  Above poster ^ @Sinshine has it right, you should find a guild that you can grow/farm with and eventually schedule times to attempt raids.

Edited by Mosjoandy
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, imbaimpulse said:

It was my mistake to not clarify: sinx is purely for pre-sherwood zeny farming in geffenia only. I am only considering this as the last resort if I had to grind my way to my first SQI. 

Of course, I would prioritise being efficient over "fun" as it is ultimately going to take many hours of playtime.

So, with that being said, if there is a method of making more than geffenia (on average) i'll gladly welcome it though i highly doubt there is any. 

if you make new char, you have to dress it up - that will slow you down - if you make now 3,5M, with sinx maybe 4M, but you have to get some equips, that will also cost you - wouldnt you have your 100M faster if you go with current char, not súpending on another?

look at it the other way around - it will také a lot of hours - better to enjoy these hours...

there is, for sure - but nobody will tell you how - people who use these methods are really happy that most people go geffenia and leave their places alone.. if you really want to know, search forums - the methods were mentioned already in various topics - ok - one way to make crazy income is mining.

how did I get my 1st sqi - thats actually why I am advising what I am advising - I had same feelings as you - that I am farming slow (only I had sinx and I have been to sleepers, because for farming purposes, I made 20M sleeper main gauche that can not be sold, so I didnt want to waste my investment) - so it felt slow, so after reading forums, I went for sniper - dressed it up pretty good (considering it was farmer) and started farming - of course - no Artemis = no party - after some time, it felt still slow, so I made champ for DG farming - dressed it up, loosing all the money I farmed so far - went DG and dropped NOTHING.. there, I realised, I was doing it wrong - I have been giving away my earnings like very bad "investments" - dont do the same mistake.. once I realised this, I just went to simmilar concept as @Mosjoandy presents - farming with more chars - 30 mins with sinx, 30 mins with sniper, 30 mins with champ, 30 mins with pally, 30 mins with wizard, 30 mins with HP - farming for items I knew I will need (or rare drops) and picking up zeny on a way - I end up selling most of my snipers equips (I finally realized that I dont like the class)  and getting my SQI.. It worked.. it may took longer compared to geffenia farmers, but I enjoyed every second and I farmed some other items during the way..

• Like 1
  • Love 1

i see.. interesting. thank you very much for all your valuable input. I guess i'll continue geffenia on my stalker for about 1-2 hours every day. shouldnt take me more than a month i suppose. Meanwhile I need to find something fun that i can do solo while no one is online.  Any suggestions?

check youtube videos to see what each class can do and decide according to it..

lot of chars can be both - solo and party - with the reseter we have here, it is easy..

best class is Wizard...

• Heh 1

I agree with playing what you like.

Ever heard of "Time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted"?

Vice versa. And so is money. It's worth it so long as you like it.

I used to be "efficiency-first" guy like you. It's a torture.

I get my first SQI by accidental buying. I don't know it is SQI. The stat just look so /rice. Until someone tell me it is. Bye bye money. About a year already, still enjoying it up to this day.

You know that if you only want efficiency, time you spend here can be spend elsewhere making money turning it into TC then into zeny...

What if I tell you even an average McDonald in some country are making 10m an hour.

How about considering if you have other skills, you might even be making 20m 30m 100m per hour?

I used to be hillwind/niffhelm/sleeper/mavka/geffenia/magma farmer. I quit all that.

Now I'm farming HTML CSS JS Database and sometimes Unity and many other stuffs... And just enjoy what I like. And pay for what make me enjoy the game.

Ps.

48 minutes ago, howrah said:

best class is Wizard...

^ *Give cookies*

• Heh 1

9 minutes ago, NattWara said:

You know that if you only want efficiency, time you spend here can be spend elsewhere making money turning it into TC then into zeny...

What if I tell you even an average McDonald in some country are making 10m an hour.

yes - mcDonald > Geffenia in terms of moneymaking :D 

I believe that this is called "opportunity cost" and it is pretty nasty - lucky enough, when I play, I enjoy it so much, that the value of the "play" equals with the opportunity cost..

• No1 1

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, ValheruWolf said:

I'm working on gearing up my priest to farm...   Cause i'm crazy.  I am not a great support player though I like to help out so i'll never be priest in an endless tower probably  but man I'm going to have fun using him to farm.  just cause.      (By great support.  you expect me to chain pneuma, or safety wall to keep a party member alive... then expect to die,  you want basic healing and buffing?  Sure. love doing that)     The truth in a lot of things.  Find what you like to do and then make money with it.   Just make sure making money with it doesn't take away the enjoyment you get out of it.

Totally agree. I originally started out on smith since that was what I played on the original server back in 2003. But once I learned about the joys of multi-clienting, I made a priest, initially for support, but ended up focusing on ME skill. I tanked her with my smith at leaf cats until she was strong enough to ME at Glast Heim. And, then, I slowly worked my way up through Abbey and Odin 2 to 99 HP without ever joining a party. Then, I supported my smith up to 90+ trans. I found that I really loved playing ME high priest even more than smith. I can also leech new jobs I want to try to max level at Abbey 3, getting more xp than if I was in a party. I even go to dimensional gorge from time to time for fun and have no problem if I can find a corner to pull small groups of mobs (under 5) while avoiding Valkyrie, though it takes a little practice. =) And, these days, I dual with HP and my LK in Geffenia, which seems to work out as well. So ME HP is the way to go. :lol:

7 hours ago, lonepaladin said:

Totally agree. I originally started out on smith since that was what I played on the original server back in 2003. But once I learned about the joys of multi-clienting, I made a priest, initially for support, but ended up focusing on ME skill. I tanked her with my smith at leaf cats until she was strong enough to ME at Glast Heim. And, then, I slowly worked my way up through Abbey and Odin 2 to 99 HP without ever joining a party. Then, I supported my smith up to 90+ trans. I found that I really loved playing ME high priest even more than smith. I can also leech new jobs I want to try to max level at Abbey 3, getting more xp than if I was in a party. I even go to dimensional gorge from time to time for fun and have no problem if I can find a corner to pull small groups of mobs (under 5) while avoiding Valkyrie, though it takes a little practice. =) And, these days, I dual with HP and my LK in Geffenia, which seems to work out as well. So ME HP is the way to go. :lol:

crazy,  I leveled mine up TU an anubis.  Voting points got a friend a GEC card that I borrowed, plus basic undershirt and panties for flee lol.

45 minutes ago, ValheruWolf said:

crazy,  I leveled mine up TU an anubis.  Voting points got a friend a GEC card that I borrowed, plus basic undershirt and panties for flee lol.

lol That's hardcore. I imagine that took you quite awhile. It's nice to see people doing things on their own. /no1

1 hour ago, lonepaladin said:

lol That's hardcore. I imagine that took you quite awhile. It's nice to see people doing things on their own. /no1

nope...

try it..

agi/flee TU priest is the fastest/cheapest way to hit 99 - all you need is TU, bless, pantie+undershirt, any rod - extremelly popular build.. somewhere on forums, it shows the needed eq and stats..

7 minutes ago, howrah said:

nope...

try it..

agi/flee TU priest is the fastest/cheapest way to hit 99 - all you need is TU, bless, pantie+undershirt, any rod - extremelly popular build.. somewhere on forums, it shows the needed eq and stats..

Cheapest, yes. Fastest? How are you going to mob with TU? When I was killing mobs in Abbey 3, I never felt like... "man, this is going too slow." And you spend all that time looking for your next Anubis and competing with other players on the same map. 

33 minutes ago, lonepaladin said:

Cheapest, yes. Fastest? How are you going to mob with TU? When I was killing mobs in Abbey 3, I never felt like... "man, this is going too slow." And you spend all that time looking for your next Anubis and competing with other players on the same map. 

If all you have is a pantie/undershirt, you won't be doing much mobbing in Abbey.

12 minutes ago, hazelae said:

If all you have is a pantie/undershirt, you won't be doing much mobbing in Abbey.

Right, that's exactly my point. 

12 minutes ago, hazelae said:

Right, exactly my point. So a TU build with pantie isn't going to get you the fastest xp as he said above. But I agreed it was the cheapest. My original post was that I did my leveling as an ME priest.

Edited by lonepaladin

34 minutes ago, elijahsp said:

Fastest when you barely have items and you are not yet trans.

True, it's not a bad way to go. TU is actually pretty fun. I played around with it on my ME HP, though the success rate is lower than with the proper build. At the time, I only had a 95 Blacksmith and no other characters, and like I put in my original post, I wanted to make a priest for support, but I ended up deciding to go with an ME build. I didn't have all the gear either. You at least need your Kaho and the rosary set + spiritual ring set to do abbey. I did Abbey 2 and 3 in the 90s on priest (not yet trans) and again on HP. It can be done. It just takes a timing, a lot of running, and practice. Later, when I saved up money, I got Eddga card for Endure, which made it a whole lot easier, and Deviling as well. And, of course, being trans and having Assumptio was much better than when I did it on priest. Before, then I worked my way through Glast Heim, when ME still took me like fifteen seconds to cast. So, it wasn't like I was rich and just bought OP gear. But Howrah made the argument that TU is simply the fastest, and I disagree.

Edited by lonepaladin

Btw, i think if i push myself it took me 1-2 days from novice with 0z to agi TU priest level 99.

farm at your own pace lol.. and play the class you like.. when you get bored of it you can just sell your stuff and try another class.. /heh

PS: Always get your loot.. thats zeny.. /no1

6 hours ago, lonepaladin said:

... How are you going to mob with TU? ...

Can you explain how you got to the conclusion "mobbing = faster leveling"? I seriously don't understand why people are buying into this myth.