Sign in to follow this  
GM Howl

Battlegrounds | Beta Feedback

bg-feedback.png

Thanks to all who were able to help with Battlegrounds Beta testing! Your assistance and ability to help test Battlegrounds is an invaluable first step in ensuring Battlegrounds will be a fun experience for all. /no1

During testing, many of you came up with some great ideas, suggestions, and thoughts on your experience during beta testing. We'd love for you to offer those thoughts here so we can keep them in one place. If you have suggestions based on your experience during the beta test, we'd love to hear them!

Thank you for taking the time to lend your thoughts and suggestions on Battlegrounds coming out of this beta test. We hope to be able to offer more testing and updates as we refine this feature on TalonRO with your input. Many thanks!

• Like 1

General suggestions:

• BG should empower people. With modes such as PvP and WoE, BG should be set apart by the ease of access to consumables. So probably, make BG only consumables available purchasable by silver coins (the BG tokens?). Would be great if all kindsa are available, +5 all stat foods, speed potions, resist potions, hp / sp stuff.
  • Often times when I saw messages such as Croix or Guillame I was wondering which side I was on. Communication was also a bit of a hassle. If you could temporarily put the entire team in a guild, that would be great.
  • When someone dies, they go to a place where they have to get through quite a bit of dialogue to access their storage / repair items. Sometimes we get warped before we do all that. So, why not have it as it was before and let us choose when we are ready to go back? And on click of the NPC, just provided us straight out with three options or better yet, auto repair our gear and give us options of getting back to battle, storage or even the BG shop accessible here would be good. If the user clicks go back and the timer hasn't expired yet, set a flag to warp them out when it expires, if not just let them stay there. And also if there's a way, auto-heal to max that goes through GTB.
  • While all modes work when there're lots of people, some modes are boring when there are less people. If there's a way to bring modes in and out of rotation depending on the number of active players, that'd be cool. The ones with large maps are not much fun with less players. If not automated, something of a command where if enough people chime in, a particular mode would be skipped.

In the same note as my first point, I think we should let Body Relocation stay and maybe find a way around it being OP (if it indeed is) . Why not let champs play with Body Relocation, tweak asura a bit, tweak the ACD a bit and see which works best? If class balancing is already in the works, we shouldn't just strike off Body Relocation.
Edited by maybeMonad

As far as bugs go, I think all the main issues that the previous version of BG had are fixed. The dispell upon entering is great, the fact that there is no food storage to firewall means the game isn't over in a second, and being status'd at the end of a match didn't seem to break BG. The vanilla issue is something that will be automatically fixed before BG goes live so I can't think of anything I'd consider a bug.

I do have a few suggestions for possible overall improvements. I'll list my suggestions and just add more as I can think about them.

1. (As mentioned by another player) Sometimes determining which team you are on is difficult. You can see who is ON your team because you see their HP bar (like you are in a party together) but it is sometimes hard to tell whether your team is Croix or Guil (for the purpose of reading the scoreboard correctly). Would it be possible to show emblems above the players to make it obvious? Or change our character dyes to the blue/red based on which team we are on? It doesn't have to be that but anything that would help clarify the teams.

2. Some of the modes seem to require more players to start than others. Would it be possible to add some sort of mode voting or have the mode change to a smaller size if the queue hasn't reached the required amount of players to begin within 2-3 minutes?

3. Champions feel pretty weak here since they cannot body relocate -> asura. I do understand why body relocate was removed but I feel as though the Asura cooldown is no longer necessary if you cannot body relocate.

1. Triple inferno should be Double inferno.

Green team got double penetrated 24/7. It's boring.

2. Too many tickets.

Under 7vs7 100 Tickets TDM and 80 skulls inferno games are too long.

I'd like decrease them or make some rules for a called game because of gaps.

3. Too huge map.

I don't wanna play 5vs5 Tierra Canyon.

This canyon needs more talonians.

4. Please allow champions.

Let them enable to use Body relocation and reset both Asura Strike ( tons of cool time ) and Body relocation -> Asura strike 2sec delay in PvP maps.

Skillful champions were the leading roles of classic RWC style PvP.

5. Other consumables.

For ex, if foods are available, I hope it's also should be in 0z shop NPC.

Speed potions in storage are also available in today's test. I hope these should be unavailable, just imbalance.

I think evident "Pay to Win" causes depopulation.

Sorry for my poor English, I usually speak Japanese only.

Today's test was fun but, it seemed only few jobs had "human rights". Meaning... there were so many Bios.( I played LK and Prof )

At last match, over 40% of testers were Bio. Most of non ghost armored testers felt unhappy, didn't they?

There were over 50 testers at start, but they got fewer less than 35 before a short break, then after the break testers were under 20.

Bio is so overpowered, we know! But, some of us feel it's boring, don't we?

If you say " It's Unres", It's EXACTLY YES. It's truly Unres, it's OK. I also realize today's test was Unres.

But, I wish to try non bio + non stalker ( or non acid demonstration ) mode if we can have a chance in next vanilla mode test.

It's late here as such I will only address some of the points real quick before heading to bed.

4 hours ago, /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ said:

3. Champions feel pretty weak here since they cannot body relocate -> asura. I do understand why body relocate was removed but I feel as though the Asura cooldown is no longer necessary if you cannot body relocate.

Body Relocation is disabled because certain modes would be too easy for Champions otherwise. I personally think that this should not be changed. However, one could think about reducing the Asura Strike cooldown.

1 hour ago, Lavein said:

At last match, over 40% of testers were Bio. Most of non ghost armored testers felt unhappy, didn't they?

There were over 50 testers at start, but they got fewer less than 35 before a short break, then after the break testers were under 20.

Bio is so overpowered, we know! But, some of us feel it's boring, don't we?

Not sure why someone would think that they arer overpowered. Please keep in mind that we only tested unres mode today. Final implementation will probably either be vanilla only or at least offer both modes. That way it should be fair for everybody. Also, when we started with our beta Creators were not the majority even.

1 hour ago, Lavein said:

1. Triple inferno should be Double inferno.

Green team got double penetrated 24/7. It's boring.

I don't get your point. Are you saying that two parties teamed up against one? I was there for the fight and could not observe that. It's PvP and FFA in the end.

1 hour ago, Lavein said:

3. Too huge map.

I got some feedback in-game earlier and at least two people told me that they liked the maps. I guess it's personal preference. However, never say never. If ssome of the maps are indeed too big then we can try to find a replacement.

1 hour ago, Lavein said:

5. Other consumables.

For ex, if foods are available, I hope it's also should be in 0z shop NPC.

Speed potions in storage are also available in today's test. I hope these should be unavailable, just imbalance.

I think evident "Pay to Win" causes depopulation.

We will NEVER sell consumables for 0z, that was only for the beta test. I also don't understand how that is related to "pay to win". We will try to nix the costs in the final version by supplying free BG consumables, that's already on our list. :)

2. Some of the modes seem to require more players to start than others. Would it be possible to add some sort of mode voting or have the mode change to a smaller size if the queue hasn't reached the required amount of players to begin within 2-3 minutes?

We will probably lower the amount of players needed to start on all modes prior to releasing BG. It was set to 10 for the test, I see it being six on the final version. Thoughts?

1. (As mentioned by another player) Sometimes determining which team you are on is difficult. You can see who is ON your team because you see their HP bar (like you are in a party together) but it is sometimes hard to tell whether your team is Croix or Guil (for the purpose of reading the scoreboard correctly). Would it be possible to show emblems above the players to make it obvious? Or change our character dyes to the blue/red based on which team we are on? It doesn't have to be that but anything that would help clarify the teams.

We can work something out for this, definitely.

6 hours ago, maybeMonad said:

While all modes work when there're lots of people, some modes are boring when there are less people. If there's a way to bring modes in and out of rotation depending on the number of active players, that'd be cool. The ones with large maps are not much fun with less players. If not automated, something of a command where if enough people chime in, a particular mode would be skipped.

Not a bad idea. Some kind of voting system would come in handy for this. We can also reduce the time it takes for BG to rotate if not enough people sign up. That way you simply wait two minutes and a different mode will be on. Thoughts?

When someone dies, they go to a place where they have to get through quite a bit of dialogue to access their storage / repair items. Sometimes we get warped before we do all that. So, why not have it as it was before and let us choose when we are ready to go back? And on click of the NPC, just provided us straight out with three options or better yet, auto repair our gear and give us options of getting back to battle, storage or even the BG shop accessible here would be good. If the user clicks go back and the timer hasn't expired yet, set a flag to warp them out when it expires, if not just let them stay there. And also if there's a way, auto-heal to max that goes through GTB.

Someone suggested to add auto-repair and auto-healing, I think that will already help a lot.

Often times when I saw messages such as Croix or Guillame I was wondering which side I was on. Communication was also a bit of a hassle. If you could temporarily put the entire team in a guild, that would be great.

There is already a chat for your BG team. Maybe you did not know about that? /battlechat I really like the guild diea tho and will see if this can be implemented.

Overall the beta test was a great success and I thank everybody who joined the runs today. We will fix all the bugs and then schedule another testrun in a week or two. Meanwhile keep the feedback coming!

• Thanks 1

Random suggestions, hope it helps!

1. Still some slight bug in certain maps(?), might need some more debugging -> Couldn't target anyone in that woe map using flags to teleport around (only tried once)

2. Assumptio spell scrolls still work, iirc I think they were supposed to be disabled? 

3. General gameplay-wise in BG seems to be ok, but since there are a lot of modes it might be better to have a guide or NPC that can explain the general rules before entering? Maybe like a chatbox explaining the rules for the round and people can choice to turn it on or off (so it doesn't annoy for extra rounds).

4. Might be great to add a respawn timer after death, at times I couldn't manage to get my equips repaired in time before being teleported out, not sure if it's intended.

5. CWP & GJ spamming is still quite OP, might be best to limit them in a way so BG wouldn't become a pot vs pot game. To make it more newbie-friendly I suggest continuing BG pots as per before, but maybe a different way of acquiring them. Perhaps something like an NPC that will supply the pots at another point of the map that's far from the objective point, or by completing side objectives. And cap the amount so people wouldn't be able to abuse them.

6. Personally I feel that Asura strike still needs a capping if CWP and GJs are allowed, while they are supposed to be some sort of a tactical nuke, having too many 1 hit kills personally feels like it would be too boring a match, and the counters are quite specific in my opinion ( Ghost , SW , Cicada , Illusory Shadow , Kaite iirc), and reflects to do something like a death pact with them. I suggest either a tone down on damage to a point where it would be much more bearable but can be used continuously, or extending a cool down on the specific skill. And with current market prices on yggdrasil berries, it would seem far too convenient a price to pay as compared to skills like AD or EDP. 

7. I feel a lack of differentiation in job classes within the BG environment, perhaps implementing like a random buff system for jobs that are less "popular", depending on a daily or weekly count of players in BG? I still don't see a lot of ninjas, slingers, soul linkers. They seem to be very interesting characters in a BG environment, and this would seem like a great move to boost the "minority" community of Talon? /fsh 

All in all the BG experience was better compared to before (even with my crappy internet), not having afk-ers ruin the round is great, though it'd be somewhat impossible to control them afk-ing in-round, sadly. Certain maps tend to drag out though, and you would see people leaving the round in the middle being too impatient, setting a time limit or increasing payout against time might help, though my preference is with having a range of tactics to play with, including stalling and mind games /gg 

Thanks again and keep up the great work /gawi

7 hours ago, alptornado said:

1. Still some slight bug in certain maps(?), might need some more debugging -> Couldn't target anyone in that woe map using flags to teleport around (only tried once)

Hm, I am not quite sure what was going on here. So you are saying that you could not attack other players after using the warps or in general?

I was I think the only ninja in the BG, and many times I could not do my final strike (the famous bug). And also at the point of resurrection, on some maps impossible to make Illusory Shadow and other buffs to prepare you.
As said on the chan discord, it must be free consumables otherwise people will not come.

Another point that interpelled me, I never knew in which team I was (hawk or beaver), I knew just which camp where I was with the colors blue or red on the map. Maybe add colors on the icons?

Last, update the wiki on BG for new like me

Gonna address some of the comments in a weird manner since I suck at using the forums. These are just responses to statements the tagged people have made. The numbering is just to make it easier to read (it isn't actually the comment order) sorry for the confusion.

@GM Boreas

1. I'm glad that reducing the asura C/D can be considered. I 100% agree that body relocate is unhealthy for many of the modes.

2. Is that number the total amount of players on a single team or the amount of players in game total? If it is per team, I feel like 6 is a pretty good number. Would it be possible to change the minimum amount of players based on the mode? Triple inferno is one of the most enjoyable modes (to me personally) and requires 3 teams so maybe 4 or 5 players per team would be better for that mode (so you only need 12 -15 players total to start that mode).

3. I saw you were in favor of another player's suggestion to temporarily guild people during BG matches so the emblem thing could be added to that.

@Lavein

1. Bios have always been extremely strong but not as many people play them regularly (on the actual server) due to the price of the supplies. They are actually much stronger in vanilla than unres but most pvp/woe players know this in general. However... I don't think Bios were as the reason why the number of testers decreased like you made it seem to be. The cause of the decrease in players was simply time. We had less players after the short break due to the fact that over an hour and a half had already passed by the time we took the short break. Not everybody has the time to stay online for 5 hours testing. It's pretty logical that more people had to leave as time passed. Going through my recordings, there were only ever ~4 bios at any given point in the video. Of course people will opt to play powerful classes when free, unlimited supplies are given.

2. In triple inferno, one of the teams was gimped but that's because class balance wasn't turned on for the teams. That issue will be resolved when they do that (and they already mentioned they would). Naturally, one team is gonna be stronger than the others. That mode is half pvp half skull collecting so you can just change your strategy to run around and collect skulls as a group and let the other 2 groups fight. That mode is extremely fun for me.

3. As Boreas already mentioned, the maps are basically a preference. Some of the maps you hate others love and vice versa.

4. The pay2win comment makes no sense. Of course players are gonna use items that aren't readily provided to try and gain an edge over the other players. That's just basic MMO gameplay. Following your logic, better gear is p2w too?

On 2/18/2018 at 6:00 AM, GM Boreas said:
On 2/18/2018 at 4:49 AM, Lavein said:

3. Too huge map.

I got some feedback in-game earlier and at least two people told me that they liked the maps. I guess it's personal preference. However, never say never. If ssome of the maps are indeed too big then we can try to find a replacement.

How about moving the 5vs5 to the KVM Map ? Maybe that helps ? since its a small map

On 2/17/2018 at 11:14 PM, maybeMonad said:

Often times when I saw messages such as Croix or Guillame I was wondering which side I was on. Communication was also a bit of a hassle. If you could temporarily put the entire team in a guild, that would be great.

There is already a chat for your BG team. Maybe you did not know about that? /battlechat I really like the guild diea tho and will see if this can be implemented.

And about this, i personally felt that it would be easier to automatically switch (or enable) /battlechat when you join BG though. (or maybe make it automatically visible to everyone in your team).

On 2/17/2018 at 11:14 PM, maybeMonad said:

While all modes work when there're lots of people, some modes are boring when there are less people. If there's a way to bring modes in and out of rotation depending on the number of active players, that'd be cool. The ones with large maps are not much fun with less players. If not automated, something of a command where if enough people chime in, a particular mode would be skipped.

Not a bad idea. Some kind of voting system would come in handy for this. We can also reduce the time it takes for BG to rotate if not enough people sign up. That way you simply wait two minutes and a different mode will be on. Thoughts?

This is a good idea. Lack of players registered, it will switch to a random BG that fill in the requirements of x players.

We will NEVER sell consumables for 0z, that was only for the beta test. I also don't understand how that is related to "pay to win". We will try to nix the costs in the final version by supplying free BG consumables, that's already on our list. :)

How about aside from those x amount of free supplies , players can purchase them using their BG tokens ? Strictly to be used in BG only. Non consumable outside BG grounds.

+5 for a Wiki entry of BG and its different modes.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2018 at 4:08 PM, GM Boreas said:

Hm, I am not quite sure what was going on here. So you are saying that you could not attack other players after using the warps or in general?

Sorry for the late reply. *Not a frequent forum user /desp*

Only for that instance of battleground round, I'm not really sure whether it was before the flag teleportation or after, since there were no other enemy players to be targeted before teleporting. I don't remember the exact details of the round, hoping these info could help pinpoint the problem:

1. It was a map that people would teleport with flags to different areas to defend, like 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, etc. 

2. Iirc during that time I've heard some players refer to it as the WOE:SE map, I don't attend woe so I can't tell /dum

3. I noticed a strange thing during that round that after death, the respawn for my character was very strangely early. I didn't even have time to click on the NPC to heal / repair.

4. Before my character died he was hit with a quagmire, I'm not sure if it might have affected anything. He died getting ganged in the end so I couldn't tell which skill killed him :Abs:

5. After that death the respawn time seemed to have gone back to normal, but I still couldn't use any skills / normal attacks on other players. Further rounds of BG after that seemed normal iirc, but I didn't get to that particular map afterwards before I had to go off.

6. During that particular time, my mouse cursor on enemy players turned to the normal arrow pointer we've always had while moving around, instead of the knife thing for attacks. I've tried turning /ns on and off during that period of time, but it didn't work still.

Hope this helps explain the situation! /gawi 

The WoE maps work because of the flags, but personally I feel Domination, Eye of the Storm and Bossnia (the same map I believe?) is too much walking and not that much of fighting. 

+1 for Body Relocation. ACD, fixed cast on asura or something else could work.

The champions have already all the advantages of mobility (increase agi), tank (SB et pneuma) and in addition they want to be even more strong.
But of course !
The body relocation is disabled in BG and WoE for some equity with other classes. Otherwise we can also activate the Jumps of ninja LOL

2 hours ago, Takhui said:

The body relocation is disabled in BG and WoE for some equity with other classes. Otherwise we can also activate the Jumps of ninja LOL

it is disabled in WoE? body relocation?

comparing "fast movement" with "jump over walls"? really?

besides, Boreas already stated the reason, why is it disabled in BG - unless they want to make each mode with different rules, or remove the modes where body reloc will be wrong, I dont think there is any room for change....

I am worried about the team grouping methods of Battle Ground.

The next player will surely be put in blue team when the number of both team players is the same.

Some players can join in the same team if they know that and want to. I think this could be a problem.

Please make it completely random

10 minutes ago, koquu said:

I am worried about the team grouping methods of Battle Ground.

The next player will surely be put in blue team when the number of both team players is the same.

Some players can join in the same team if they know that and want to. I think this could be a problem.

Please make it completely random

and make a cooldown after leaving one of the groups (if ppl know what group they are in, before it starts) - I can already see the scenario: "Omg you are blue? I will change teams, gimme a sec..."

Cool, a good thing for body relocation (Howrad: RMS source not reliable).

The BG equipment will be buyable by Silver Coins (except weapon of what I saw)?

While looking at the Asura Cooldown Change, to counter not being able to use Body Relocation, here's some data for consideration. It takes at best roughly 3.3 seconds to spam a full SP Bar with Grape Juice from 0. This was tested at both 690 SP (1 Base Int), and 1400 SP (99 Base Int, w/ DL Sleips), only .1 second more to use the extra 2 GJ while you HSS -> Fury -> HSS while GJing to full. So anything under 3 Second Cooldown would make Ygg Asura's viable, while 5 Seconds or more cooldown will still force an actual delay before being able to be Asura again.

• Like 1

small suggestion regarding the tripple inferno map

I would prefer if it had variations depending on number of players, making it either 2, 3 or 4 teams

lets say there are 12 players attending, I would rather have 2 teams of 6 rather than 3 teams of 4

Also, for the respawn lobby, a chatbox for you to click when ready (like the one for the seal quests) would be great. This way, people that want to access storage can move stuff around without being warped back to fight

thats a good suggestion, but we also gotta consider the fact that people might afk inside the lobby and abuse the safezone. 

11 hours ago, s4w said:

small suggestion regarding the tripple inferno map

I would prefer if it had variations depending on number of players, making it either 2, 3 or 4 teams

lets say there are 12 players attending, I would rather have 2 teams of 6 rather than 3 teams of 4

Also, for the respawn lobby, a chatbox for you to click when ready (like the one for the seal quests) would be great. This way, people that want to access storage can move stuff around without being warped back to fight

I think the triple inferno is best left to 3 teams. 3 teams of 4 is more chaotic than 2 teams of 6. Every other mode is only 2 teams so no harm leaving the only 3 team mode alone (since it seems to be a crowd favorite anyway).

2 hours ago, mendics said:

thats a good suggestion, but we also gotta consider the fact that people might afk inside the lobby and abuse the safezone. 

A chatbox for respawn isn't a bad idea. To make sure that people don' t afk there, that area could have a 20 second max safe period before you're sent out automatically.

Posted (edited)

Recent changes-

!Joinbg command- Didn't test but it seems like exactly what we needed.

!order/leader/reportafk- Another thing I didn't see to test but they all seem necessary.

Repairman revamp- Great. Much easier to repair by spam clicking enter

Storage removal in return room- I think this should be changed back. Some of the modes last a long time and players may realize they forgot an important piece of gear but will have to play through a 10+ minute BG match without the item. I'd recommend re-adding that but place the storage selection option below the repair option (that way people can still spam enter for easy repairs). This way people have a chance to correct gear mistakes if they are quick enough in storage.

Free for all- Very fun mode. My only real issue with the mode is the fact that players are able to attack other players while in the return room. Would it be possible to change that or, at least, make it so coins aren't gained for kills in that location.

Team balancing- I didn't notice the team balancing feature at all. I had 2 matches with 3 bios on the same team and a match with 2 clowns on the same team. I'm assuming that the reason for this is because the minimum amount of players to start modes has been lowered and perhaps the only time team balancing kicks in is when people are in the process of queueing to begin the mode. Not sure if this can be resolved but, if not, it isn't the end of the world.

Removed Party Join option- This seems like a temporary change right? I'm curious if joining as a party puts you into a separate queue where you can only be teamed against another similar sized party. If so, this could be great for GM-led BG events. Coin/badge gain could be turned off for this version (to prevent 2 parties from trading wins by rushing modes). I can't really comment on this further since I don't know the details yet.

BG Mode text visibility- Looking good /no1

Doctor added to Lobby- Thanks!

Green team now Griffe- A nice change to fit the theme. I also noticed that you can now see the green team's score in chat so that's another welcome change from last beta.

Fixed barricade placement in Conquest- Not sure where the original placement was so I can't comment on this.

Fixed flag bugs/text issues- Thanks!

Bossnia MvPs- That mode seemed to run a lot more smoothly compared to the first beta.

Suggestions-

Clarity- This is likely already being worked on but people were still confused whether they were Croix or Guillaume. Perhaps have players on the Croix side have the bird? emblem above them and the Guillaume side have the lion? emblem above them (with Griffe having another random emblem)? Another option would be to change the player name text to indicate the color of the team they are on or completely change a players cloth dye to a solid red/blue/green for the duration of the match.

2.0 Objectives- For Conquest mode, I feel that the HP of the guardian stone and barricades might be too high. I do realize you get a 6 minute extension every time you break an objective but the mode seems to heavily favor the defenders since there isn't an entire guild working together to break them. Admittedly, I haven't played it enough times to know for certain so it would be nice for others to share their opinions.

Rewards-

I know this was mentioned a bit on discord but I figured I'd go ahead and post my thoughts since it would be easier to reference here than it is to scroll back up through all the discord chat.

I think all the BG gear should be released (including the glorious gear). There are a few pieces that may be a bit problematic but the majority of the items are fine. It wouldn't be hard to have a discussion to suggest possible edits to pieces of gear that people would consider overpowered. I can go into further detail if people are interested.

It was also mentioned that costumes/pets probably wouldn't be considered as possible rewards due to the fact that people could possibly take turns to get the reward. I don't agree with that. I feel like a nice account bound costume and PvP/WoE specific pets are a nice addition to the rewards list. An account bound costume (that people really like) is a great way to draw in players who aren't that interested in the PvP side of ragnarok. You could make the amount of coins required to get these items extremely high so that people can't obtain them easily and make it account bound so that the only real value is the value each individual places on it. Costumes are a great reward to draw in players without directly improving their gear/stats. It is pretty easy to deter with people from attempting to trade wins by recommending players report people they believe to be doing so. Active BG players would definitely hop at the chance to get rid of players that ruin the fun. With the new !Joinbg command, players can't simply try and hide when they are entering BG at an otherwise dead time. The !reportafk command also helps to deal with parts of this issue. Pvp/WoE players love pets and costumes. it is generally what we spend our zeny on once we are satisfied with our pvp/WoE gear. If all else fails, the GMs could even grant a small bounty for when players snitch on others with adequate proof and remove the accumulated coins of people who try to abuse anything.

Edited by /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
  • Love 1
  • No1 1