GM Lance

Nightmare's Rift: A Jester's Smile

Untitled-1.png.cce20dc148da7d68669ec4916c268fc2.png

Our exciting lineup of PvM content resumes with a series of exclusive dynamic instances revolving around Nightmare's Rift. Throughout the forthcoming weeks, players will form parties to enter the realms of the void and challenge each individual nightmare MVP on their turf; a timed labyrinth filled with puzzles, search and rescue missions and sweltering boss fights versus some of the toughest mobs unique to the instance.

We're thrilled to kick things off with Nightmare's Rift: A Jester's Smile, part 1 of 7 instances and a dungeon not to be reckoned with! A max party limit of 12 is mandatory to be eligible for this event, mainly due to its difficulty. As there are limited slots available, we will only book places on a first come, first serve basis (If you weren't able to signup due to limited spaces, do not fret, as we aim to host these dynamic PvM instances on a regular shift). Please ensure you read the guidelines before opting in:

Guidelines:

1. A limit of three resurrections will be permitted in case of a party wipe during the instance

2. There are numerous puzzle solving segments throughout the instance which require players to work together, please ensure your party is able to communicate and deliberate with one another effectively (random party invites to fill up a slot is not advised, as one player can cost the completion of a run)

3. You will have 60 minutes to complete the instance, prizes will only be awarded if an instance is finished without failure (failing occurs by either not being able to solve a puzzle, not completing the instance on time or running out of resurrections)

4. Dual clienting is allowed, but not advised given the nature of how these dynamic instances are run. 

5. If multiple teams successfully complete the instance, each team will still be rewarded based on the prize list given.

Slots:
Slot 1 Calibre Team - 1pm Server Time
Slot 2 Dewata Failbox Team - 2:30pm Server Time
Slot 3 SpankySpanky Team - 4pm Server time

Prizes:
8900.gif&key=e6705d325821206bf3b771c2e51 6 Talon Coins
5105.gif  TalonRO Cake
12478.gif.3b83df95cda7fa04edb78e3ea4f95e03.gif 3x Rainbow's Pot of Gold
6495.png&key=db5e2c2961f15e6dafaad32c050 350 Eden Merit Badges
14029.gif&key=d40d10e52b104acf93506c62e8 PvM Specific Reward Box

Future Planned Nightmare's Rift Content:
1. A Jester's Smile (24/03/2018)
2. Tales of the Sword Maiden (TBA)
3. Road to Triumph (TBA)
4. Tower of Entropy (TBA)
5. Battle of Legends (TBA)
6. Ataxia (TBA)
7. The Crown (TBA)

• Like 1
  • Fsh 4
  • Love 3
  • No1 1

Are we actually going to receive all the rewards that are promised this time around.

• Heh 1

We would like to sign up as SpankySpanky party xD. However, I have a question, are we assigned in the timeslot we desire, or being first means going first? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Rayssss said:

We would like to sign up as SpankySpanky party xD. However, I have a question, are we assigned in the timeslot we desire, or being first means going first? Thanks!

You can choose a timeslot from the three i've listed. /ok

• Love 1

1 minute ago, GM Lance said:

You can choose a timeslot from the three i've listed. /ok

Thanks a lot for your quick reply! If so, we would like to grab the 4pm sv time slot.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Yuren said:

Are we actually going to receive all the rewards that are promised this time around.

The team is very sorry about the mishap, but as are for new items, we sometimes have hiccups with distribution and creation.

If that inconveniences you, you can always refrain from joining any further events, I am absolutely sure you won't feel any sort of bother that way. 

• Wah 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GM Zelda said:

If that inconveniences you, you can always refrain from joining any further events, I am absolutely sure you won't feel any sort of bother that way. 

Pretty sure it's not only her but most of the people who have inconvenience last time by getting extra time or cutting their time by 4 min or wrong summoning MvPs and having to stop the event for 90 - 60 seconds really. Even when they said it was sched event yet they were asking if we could go 1 hour earlier.
I understand you guys had to lead with lot of stuffs as GMs/Hgms specially for this kind of events but most of them were just simple errors that could have been avoided with less short notices and more time spending on knowing how the event will be held. Anyways, further more if your solution is to refrain players from joining further events cause of this kind of issues happening then idk what to think. 
Edit: Pretty sure no one goes for a prize of 350 eden badges and 5 tc tbh that's the less likely problem in here, most of people go to have fun or atleast like me, to enjoy competetion from other parties. ._.

Edited by Clareon

1 hour ago, Clareon said:

Pretty sure it's not only her but most of the people who have inconvenience last time by getting extra time or cutting their time by 4 min or wrong summoning MvPs and having to stop the event for 90 - 60 seconds really. Even when they said it was sched event yet they were asking if we could go 1 hour earlier.
I understand you guys had to lead with lot of stuffs as GMs/Hgms specially for this kind of events but most of them were just simple errors that could have been avoided with less short notices and more time spending on knowing how the event will be held. Anyways, further more if your solution is to refrain players from joining further events then idk what to think. 

Just to butt in on one small point you made regarding the change of time, we did ask whether it would inconvenience your party, and if so, we'd have stuck with the original time slot, in which we honoured. We had a few GMs short due to unforeseen circumstances, hence why we had to re-adjust the timeslots. 

I think Zelda's point was that if the distribution of Eden badges is the only thing that would question one's doubt in joining these instances, then they don't have to commit to it (and yes, for those wondering we can now distribute eden badges as prizes, fixed this on our end). 

We apologise for the inconvenience caused during the event, there were a few technical errors but we managed to rectify this and extend the time for multiple parties who were involved in the incident. 

• Love 1
  • No1 2

59 minutes ago, GM Zelda said:

The team is very sorry about the mishap, but as are for new items, we sometimes have hiccups with distribution and creation.

So simply put "if you don't like the mistakes we make, don't join"? I could easily reverse this and say maybe you shouldn't host anymore events to stop disappointing people.

Iirc Lance said he had another way in which he could distribute us the Eden badges but chose not to saying they would give us an alternative when it should have been approved already and made no difference - but the alternative just ended up being less gm boxes less than what was stated on the event announcement. Not to mention prize distribution wasn't the only thing that went wrong with the last event. Overall the event just felt like it was rushed and the GMs that helped weren't briefed properly. The sequence of the "18 nightmares" was uncertain, times were wrong (late start/early finish/delay from not knowing which mvp to summon next). I referred to other party's streams and they had varying times from 18 - 20+ mins while my party was cut short at 15-16 mins. Each party should have been timed individually imho - we weren't given extra time to make up for having to wait for another party's incorrect summoning. And because of such short notice and poor planning, what was supposed to be a 40 minute event ended up being 3-4 hours long in total. Adding different time slots, being short on staff, and what not was because of a "unprecedented" number of parties joining the event but this could have been avoided if the event had been organised earlier so you could account for whatever number of parties applied or limit it at the very least. There were several problems with the last event, and your response to me is "don't join then". Nice reply from a GM.

This is the moment where that nice general reminder of the internet comes in place. There are people behind those screens.
GMs are not bots. We are not lines of code. We were not programmed to run smoothly. We, just as everybody, run into bumps, and we have to fix it on the go, as fast as we, as humans, can. Sometimes things go wrong. Some people can fix them quicker than others, some other people need more help.

It saddens me deeply to see that, in this instance, Lance, but more broadly the whole team (because for little things like this to happen, there is a whole team effort) is not appreciated. Every single event and instance and update we do, is for players. We aim for the best gaming experience we can possibly provide.

So no, we don't have any obligations to give you prizes. We give them out because it's fun. I could host an event and say the prize was the fun or the struggle itself. We do reserve ourselves the right to change our rules and what was said, to ADAPT to circumstances. And that is exactly what we did. We adapted.

In adapting, it's understandable that some people are going to be hurt, some are going to have some sort of disavantage, even if that's not what we want. It happens. This is life, we are all people. 

I sincerely apologise if the "prizes" you got made the whole event horrible for you. But next time, bear in mind that there was more effort put into the event than just clicking and hitting half a dozen keys on your keyboard to kill some monsters. 

So yes, if being a decent and comprehensible person inconveniences you, don't join. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • No1 2

Hey everyone!

So while I haven't personally been involved in Nightmare's Rift yet due to my own schedule, I wanted to jump in and cover a few things.

First of all, thank you to all of you who have left feedback - voicing things like this is crucial in polishing what we do and how we do things, so we do not want you to think that we do not hear you - we appreciate it, and your notes (as well as any past hiccups) will be taken into careful consideration in order to avoid the same problems in the future. 

Second of all, I ask for a little patience on behalf of the team - Nightmare's Rift is an ambitious and large-scale event and ensuring it's smooth running start-to-finish can involve a bit of a learning curve (especially when you consider that most of our events are designed to be run solo or in very small groups). 

That being said, I wanted to summarise your feedback so that we can make this a better experience next time. So as far as I can see, these are your concerns (and possible solutions) are as follows:

• ensuring the correct rewards are handed out in a timely manner (as Lance mentioned, Eden badges permissions have now been modified, so there should be no problems there)
  • sticking to proposed time slots as well as running times of the events, and ensuring each team has equal opportunity/length of time to complete the instance (perhaps designating one team member specifically to the task of time-keeping/pacing of the event would be beneficial?)
  • correct sequencing of MVPs (this one's indeed rather simple to fix, distributing the list should help)

We will try our best to make this event a wonderful experience, both conceptually and technically, but I ask for patience with any problems that may be outside of our control. When you leave feedback (which I completely encourage - either via Discord, forums, Suggestions, etc) I only ask that you do so with the understanding that we too want to make this event the best that we can for you. 

Thanks everyone, and looking forward to this Saturday!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • No1 4

4 minutes ago, GM Saen said:

Hey everyone!

So while I haven't personally been involved in Nightmare's Rift yet due to my own schedule, I wanted to jump in and cover a few things.

First of all, thank you to all of you who have left feedback - voicing things like this is crucial in polishing what we do and how we do things, so we do not want you to think that we do not hear you - we appreciate it, and your notes (as well as any past hiccups) will be taken into careful consideration in order to avoid the same problems in the future. 

Second of all, I ask for a little patience on behalf of the team - Nightmare's Rift is an ambitious and large-scale event and ensuring it's smooth running start-to-finish can involve a bit of a learning curve (especially when you consider that most of our events are designed to be run solo or in very small groups). 

That being said, I wanted to summarise your feedback so that we can make this a better experience next time. So as far as I can see, these are your concerns (and possible solutions) are as follows:

• ensuring the correct rewards are handed out in a timely manner (as Lance mentioned, Eden badges permissions have now been modified, so there should be no problems there)
  • sticking to proposed time slots as well as running times of the events, and ensuring each team has equal opportunity/length of time to complete the instance (perhaps designating one team member specifically to the task of time-keeping/pacing of the event would be beneficial?)
  • correct sequencing of MVPs (this one's indeed rather simple to fix, distributing the list should help)

We will try our best to make this event a wonderful experience, both conceptually and technically, but I ask for patience with any problems that may be outside of our control. When you leave feedback (which I completely encourage - either via Discord, forums, Suggestions, etc) I only ask that you do so with the understanding that we too want to make this event the best that we can for you. 

I was in the middle of typing when Saen happened to post a reply before me. And as someone who was actually in the event I agree with what is said.

We hosted the event and you guys gave us feedback, there is no need to get heated over something like this. It may be annoying that things didn't seem done correctly but that's why we take what we learned and adapt the next event to make it better and hope to not repeat past mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Mistakes and inconveniences happen but these guarantee learning and improvement as long as people are willing. As a participant of the recent Nightmare Rift I sincerely do appreciate the event in its entirety (I thank my friends for guilttripping me and ignoring my endless plea that I'm resisting RO due to my academics). Nonetheless, in behalf of my team we do thank you for the opportunity as the event allowed us to play and spend time together again, and have fun. Although honestly on a personal note I think (perhaps!) a proper avenue for feedback amongst hosts and participants would be helpful in order to make room for improvement and make way for better communication and understanding for both the GM team and the participants.

Anyways, inbefore the 1pm slot gets taken, I volunteer Calibre as tribute--I mean-- I would like to signup Calibre party for the 1pm server timeslot.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • No1 1

38 minutes ago, Kisuka* said:

Mistakes and inconveniences happen but these guarantee learning and improvement as long as people are willing. As a participant of the recent Nightmare Rift I sincerely do appreciate the event in its entirety (I thank my friends for guilttripping me and ignoring my endless plea that I'm resisting RO due to my academics). Nonetheless, in behalf of my team we do thank you for the opportunity as the event allowed us to play and spend time together again, and have fun. Although honestly on a personal note I think (perhaps!) a proper avenue for feedback amongst hosts and participants would be helpful in order to make room for improvement and make way for better communication and understanding for both the GM team and the participants.

Anyways, inbefore the 1pm slot gets taken, I volunteer Calibre as tribute--I mean-- I would like to signup Calibre party for the 1pm server timeslot.

Concerning available resources, I think Suggestions could be a good place for feedback and discussion of live, GM-held events - you guys can just tag myself or Lance to ensure we see it and pass it onto the rest of the team.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, GM Zelda said:

I share critizism people given here and I can see the GMs' side and people being behind it and all. I mainly post because I find this highly unprofessional. "We made mistakes so just don't join if you're not happy with that" is the best way to discourage people from joining any further events. Or anything really, as this kind of response basically tells us that you don't care for player input.

Regarding the actual event: I understand that things sometimes take time. But you're the ones announcing them. If something still takes time and isn't fleshed out yet, don't you think it would be more reasonable to not post it until everything's in place and everyone's in the picture? I do appreciate you guys hosting things like this, but also understand that announcing an event that needs a full and solid party just two days before the actual event puts everyone into stress mode. Suddenly you have to cancel things you've planned already, possibly tell beginners that were going to join your previously planned event that they can't come because it's going to be a tougher thing, find people who haven't made plans for the weekend yet to build a party. All under pressure of signing up before someone takes one of the limited party slots. At the same time, others will come online hours later just to find out that they missed out on signing up and/or getting a spot in their group's party simply because they were at work, sleeping or simply away from their computer for a few hours. Also, other parties will have people dropping out on short notice to instead go to the rift and they're left without some important classes as well. This simply doesn't make for a good player experience so people will start out frustrated.

What confused me about last week's event was that we were told there were more parties than expected and I thought man there's gotta be a lot of parties and in the end it was only 6. And then there wasn't even a real prize structure in place. Like the first place got all the rewards and the 2nd and last place got the exact same items. I'm happy everyone got something for participating, but being in the 2nd place party, I didn't feel good when I found out that we got the exact same things. This problem obviously won't be coming up this week since there's only three slots, but I wanted to have brough it up. Because that's part of why it felt like it was rushed and not properly prepared.

PS: The way prizes are listed here still is unclear to me: Each member of the winning party gets all the listed items?

Edited by Sinshine
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, GM Saen said:

Hey everyone!

Best. Customer. Service. Ever. Thank you, Saen!

Where's a clapping emoticon when you need one?

• Heh 1

Right! On that note, since we have our final trib...- I mean participants! /heh

Thank you very much everybody, for your comments and attention to the previous event. As mentioned above, we'd appreciate it very much if further suggestions and feedbacks be posted in the proper sub forums and tag a gm if needed.

Good luck everybody, happy adventuring! 

• Love 2

Thank you all for participating in today's Rift instance! We hope you had a blast. /lv

As always, we're always open to feedback so don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any suggestions/comments for today's run.

We'll be returning soon with even more PvM content in the coming months! 

• Love 4
  • Thanks 1