Sign in to follow this  
lIlIdanIlI

Switching gear during SG

Say before casting SG I have Evil Snake Lord middy, after cast I switch to High Wizard middy, do I lose the +3 int from ESL and gain 20% mdef bypass from HW?  Appreciate clarification from pro wizzy...

Damage calculation for SG is at the moment of activation of the skill. In a way it's a single multistage attack. Switching gears while the SG is active should not influence the active SG in any way. The same should apply to LoV. AFAIK it is different for MS as each meteor is calculated independently at the moment the meteor is spawned. 

Gear switching is usually done with Phen or BBF card to make casting uninteruptible. cast spell > during cast equip phen/bbf card if you are attacked > if you got time switch back to damage gear before the spell activates. This is not common on TRO as IC is easily available.

Another thing would be alternating SG and MS to maximize damage bonus from AMP if you got very high after cast delay reduction. Cast AMP > Cast SG > Cast MS > Cast AMP again and once the SG runs out repeat with casting SG. SG gets damage from first amp and its damage wont change as I said earlier. MS will not have a damage bonus at first if you cast AMP while MS is active the following meteors will get the bonus. The AMP after MS will work as the first AMP for the following iteration. That way you boost 2 AoEs with 1 AMP. But as Bragi is nerfed, IC is easily available and ... for whatever other reasons this is also not very common on TRO.

Edited by DoucheEnrique
third time is gonna be right i guess?

Well I'm repeating what I once learned from IROwiki. There are lot's of things/mechanics that behave differently on TRO so this might be another one of those.

But then this can be tested easily so I guess I'll do some testing later to see for myself :D

Edited by DoucheEnrique

So i've been hitting some hapless soccer balls for some time and the results are unexpected: It depends. Neither is 100% correct apparently.

Just using SG behaves like described in the linked thread. Each single hit with SG uses the current MATK for calculation. So equipping or unequipping INT/MATK gear after activation changes the damage accordingly.

BUT this changes when using AMP. Casting SG after using AMP makes SG's damage stay the same even when equipping or unequipping INT/MATK gear after activation.

• Like 2

I always wondered with the equipment changing working how amp would be considered, because if amp does in crease the damage by whatever percent, and that buff persists throughout all hits, what happens if you amp > sg > amp - as you describe it, it just seems to freeze the picture at that stage and use it for all the calculation, nice find.

I'd like to do some tests on using AMP during SG / MS but to do that I would need Bragi but then the Bragi-Nerf would change the damage which would make testing changes to damage pretty hard :(

How is it any harder than it already is (difference between min and max matk)? Its just a % based reduction I thought?

• Like 1

You are right i just have to compare everything with bragi active that way the reduction from bragi wont matter overall. Silly me /hum

• Like 1

The staff swapping thread is taking into consideration mdef piercing not matk change. Your storm gust will be based on your initial matk but damage may change if you gain or lose mdef piercing.

Additionally, I based the assumption that storm gust takes into consideration the initial matk based on experience with kasas. Kasas die with one amp sg but not without. It's not like the first blast is the only one that is boosted.

Edit: apparently amp works differently. Did some testing casting storm gust naked and wearing gears in the middle of the blasts, the damage did increase.

Edited by elijahsp

10 hours ago, elijahsp said:

The staff swapping thread is taking into consideration mdef piercing not matk change. Your storm gust will be based on your initial matk but damage may change if you gain or lose mdef piercing.

Additionally, I based the assumption that storm gust takes into consideration the initial matk based on experience with kasas. Kasas die with one amp sg but not without. It's not like the first blast is the only one that is boosted.

Edit: apparently amp works differently. Did some testing casting storm gust naked and wearing gears in the middle of the blasts, the damage did increase.

Your testing was without amping, correct?

Please go and play with the Eden Soccer Balls yourself. The more people test it themselves the more reliable this will be ;)

I casted SG10 on the fire ball with my HW both with full equip and without staff/LKH, which nearly halves my MATK, to see the upper and lower levels.

Then I tried unequipping or equipping Staff+LKH after casting SG10 which makes the damage drop or go up instantly to the same levels I've seen before. My Staff only has 6% MDEF pierce which is not enough to justify up to 10k difference in damage. And I'm not sure the Eden Soccer Balls have MDEF at all.

When using AMP the damage stays at the level of your stats/equipment you have at the moment of skill activation. Equipping or unequipping after activation did not cause any visible change in damage.

• Like 1