Kelen

found something unconventional ?

What do you do if you found something unconventional ?  lets say a new mechanics that can help promote flexibility or even a candidate for a META. Something in the line of 'Oh you can now use Spiral Pierce with any weapon class ~'. Its not game breaking and is a good addition for players to consider when building their character.

TalonRo migrated to rAthena, and theres a lot of changes... its been awhile now but I still get confused to what is a bug and what is intentional, especially we are in pre-re and rAthana is used for renewal.
We can look at hunter traps, before, they deal damage n times the number of mobs, no one knows if this is a bug or intentional behavior, but sure enough it made traps useful. Believe it or not, this trap mechanic existed until Iduna. if you would ask a GMs to get traps work the old way, they probably reply something along the lines of 'That was a bug in eAthan'.The fact that this trap mechanics -that GM calls a bug- existed for so long, it's possible to assume that there are other bugs out there in the loose, and no one will even give that much concern about it because it's not game breaking.

1174.gifgood bug

I lean more toward original developers lacking cares of fixing stuffs, quality life improvements, instead of labeling them as bugs.

So far what I experienced in this game, something become broken so long, but the fix always come much more later (like years). Anything broken in classic, oh let's ignore them and then fix them with renewal update. Traps stacking damage nerf was compensated with single high damage in renewal. And what's up with bowling bash grid? New world monster damage so high, forcing us with limited gears to use coward tactics (ranged + magic), oh let's nerf their damage at renewal, instead just give them high hp.

I don't fully understand with damage scaling either, ok here 10 k hp average for you, and some monster can poke 100 k hp damage when unprepared, which makes us very reliant on gears (refinement at official server when not flooded with mvp cards). Meanwhile, in renewal your max hp is so high that mvp rarely one shot you.

And let's not forget their business model. Oh refining is too grindy? Here upgraded version of elunium but you have to pay with money. More power creep behind the paywall makes unhealthy competition (which I am glad that it is not happening here, ability to trade talon coins). New players almost stand no chance to catch up much older ones. And bots, I can bet GMs in most asian servers except japan and korea involved on doing bots whether they just selectively banning bots or actively participating since it makes real money. There is always someone in Asia crazy enough to buy game items with money (my friend even met elementary school kid wanting to buy his stuffs back in the day). So why do they even care about fixing the game when they can make money with mediocre version?

As classic server, we are almost always in the receiving end unfortunately. I don't know I just feel weird when someone said we should stick with official, official server is the absolute rule.

In my ignorant sense (since I don't participate much in this server recently), I am all with experimenting new mechanics. I will say it is totally ok to try new stuffs and find them a little bit game breaking within a week or two and revert back, instead of never trying at all (something like league of legends nerf-ing and buff-ing heroes, I guess). 1000 tests in most cases are always better than 1 - 2 persons' assumption. 

Edited by kolela
  • No1 1

Yes it is a quality of life until you get invested to it, and it got 'fixed'. Theres a lot of them(due to iduna or not) like full def pally, backslide, trap stacking and 30mins kaahi just to name a few. The thing is, its hard to draw the line to what is intentional or not. Being a pre-re add to this factor since there's no official pre-re to look for. 

I don't have much thing to say about renewal since I haven't been there for a while. But one thing I noticed is its constant updates is overwhelming. 
About botting, like what you've said servers have their reasons for allowing it. Servers have their ways of eradicatin them; like making party plays and instances more rewarding or by actively blocking it. If servers have their ways, players have their ways too :P

When looking at a behavior of a game mechanic, regardless of whether it's a bug or not, it can be viewed from 5 different angles:

1. Behavior pre-Iduna
  2. Current behavior post-Iduna
  3. Official pre-renewal behavior
  4. What players really want
  5. What GMs think is best for the server

Ideally, they should all overlap, but it's not always the case /wah

If something is really unusual, I think transparency is better, and we should check with the GMs if this is intended. There have been fixes in both ways, some that can be considered as "buff" for the players, some that can be considered as "nerf", so I think it's fair not to hide any game changing (not necessarily breaking) newly found behavior.

• Thanks 1

There are bugs that can be very critical that we decided not to make known for the public to exploit before we fix them with a reboot.

1 hour ago, Hatfun said:

it can be viewed from 5 different angles:

1. Behavior pre-Iduna
  2. Current behavior post-Iduna
  3. Official pre-renewal behavior
  4. What players really want
  5. What GMs think is best for the server
  1. That is eAthena and we are done with that outdated client.
  2. rAthena is different but not dissimilar to eAthena. Some of our eAthena scripts in its basic form can still work.
  3. Official behavior as intended by Gravity can only go as far as rAthena client allows it. While we try our best to "replicate" that official behavior, we are still limited by the rAthena emulator.
  4. Faster exp, easier farm, big damage numbers, faster movement speed, luxurious reward. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  5. Balance and purpose in all things. Most of the time we want to add value to the things that hasn't escaped Gravity's design flaw without tempering much from its official behavior.

Nevertheless, GMs are (some were) players like you all before, so we definitely feel the way you feel as well. We have always treaded very carefully with changes - which none will come without months of discussions, arguments and agreements.

But rest assured that our focus has and always will be about making TalonRO a fun MMORPG to play.

• Like 3
  • No1 1