GM Luna

⛄️ 2019 Winter Baking Contest ❄️

9 hours ago, bassbuzz said:

WHYYYYYY DOES IT HAVE TO BE A BAKING CONTEST QQ! 

TAGGING @hligg! YOU WILL ACE THIS!

Oh no bassbuzz! You should totally join, it’ll be fun /lv

9 hours ago, agilazo said:

/hmm aw... baking... i even doesnt have oven at home...

i guess this would be a great time to visit friends and family /ok

• Like 3

A small query:

Does it have to be strictly "baked"? I was thinking of something like crepes would be disqualified since making them wouldn't need an oven.

I desperately want to join this. But damn, how do I subtly persuade my wife that I use the oven? /omg

What's more is it's tRO-themed. Waaaaah! /sob

If ever I couldn't, I'd love to see our fellow Talonians' creations. Make 'em lovely, humurous, despicable, etc. /no1

• Like 1
  • Fsh 1
  • Heh 4

10 hours ago, My Wife for Hire said:

A small query:

Does it have to be strictly "baked"? I was thinking of something like crepes would be disqualified since making them wouldn't need an oven.

No, we are happy if the final creation isn’t completely baked but as this is a baking competition the minimum of the final creation should be at least 50% baked. 

4 hours ago, Ghaspar said:

I desperately want to join this. But damn, how do I subtly persuade my wife that I use the oven? /omg

What's more is it's tRO-themed. Waaaaah! /sob

If ever I couldn't, I'd love to see our fellow Talonians' creations. Make 'em lovely, humurous, despicable, etc. /no1

Am sure if you are honest with her she would be understanding. And it only natural for it to be tRO themed /ok

I'm a bit confused about including the temperatures. Do we have to create a recipe from scratch for this? O.O

Edited by Conscendo

Hi !

Here my story, hope you will like it!  (Sorry if there are some mistakes, English is not my native tongue)

The Well-baked Cookies

IGN : Kithal

Spoiler

The Well-baked Cookies

On a cold December night, snow covers the whole plain. I can see from the window the large fir trees that surround our cottage. I stand next to my sister Alexa who was injured this morning by a Garm baby. Despite the fire in the chimney, the freezing cold of the beast continues to hurt her.

I have no remedy, however I remember a story that our grandmother often told us about a man endowed with great powers, living north of the city of Lutie, he could probably cure my sister.

Without wasting time, I put on my coat and my slotted boots, and go to find him. Sneaking through the trees so that the Sasquatchs don't see me, I walk slowly over the snow. Little by little I begin to distinguish the lights of the city, here I am finally arrived!

I ask the villagers if they know this man, and all tell me with a smiling face the direction to reach his house. Final destination, a large house nicely decorated, I have never seen anything so beautiful in my life!

Inside, I meet an old man dressed in red, it's... it's the original Santa Claus! I am amazed to see him so happy when his chimney is not lit. He told me that he eats Well-baked Cookies to warm up. I then told him about my sister, and without hesitation he explained the recipe:

In a large bowl, pour 250 g of flour with the half of sugar. Add 3 spoonfuls of four spices from Amatsu, and a pinch of salt.
Then, incorporate 125 g of butter cut into small dice.

20191224_152607.thumb.jpg.3e842ed5156ae859c1065a0096bedc1b.jpg

Mix everything with your fingertips to obtain a powder as fine as Witched Starsand.

20191224_153342.thumb.jpg.5178e013366a91733d0dd0dd472080ab.jpg

Add a small egg and collect the dough to form a ball. Let sit for 30 minutes.

20191224_154604.thumb.jpg.4847027b7fd08984c3ef4b263135382b.jpg

Preheat the oven to 160°C (or 320°F), during this time flour the work surface and spread the dough to a thickness of one centimeter.

20191224_181113.thumb.jpg.86fa5941ca3c54d19c225e29641aaf54.jpg

Cut out pieces of the shape you want and place them on a baking tray.

20191224_183308.thumb.jpg.cac6dfa1d07006b405a1fba499c0a5ea.jpg

Finally, put in the oven for about 15 minutes, and that done!

20191224_190011.thumb.jpg.e0563e0705a4ab2859d1a19d79b4a11f.jpg

Thank you very much Santa Claus, with these Well-baked Cookies I will be able to heal my sister and have a wonderful Christmas Eve!
At the time of leaving, he hands me a gift, these are two Marc cards, with that we will no longer have to fear the Garms!

Ho Ho Ho~
Meeeerry Christmas !!

20191229_123603.thumb.jpg.81a074c0d949843129d4b5d39ee35ada.jpg

Edited by NijiBemani
  • Like 2
  • Fsh 2
  • Love 4

On 12/27/2019 at 2:55 AM, kERoball said:

Here is my submission, Hope it's ok :) 

Berta Wellington

IGN: ~~KERO~~

Reveal hidden contents

After numerous war with the Valkyries, clearing countless towers, the unstoppable comrades which reside at the beach island "Jawaii" are celebrating their victory this festive season.

The leaders had assigned the chef ,Kero, to cook a feast for the crew. The chef came up with a dish but needed assist from his crew.

Chef Kero sent a deadly assasin to a secret mission in Geffen. The assasin swiftly and sliently executed the target... "Berta".

Chef Kero planned to do the infamous beef pie "Berta Wellington"

Chef Kero butchered Berta's lifeless corpse and prepared the finest piece of cut tenderloin to prepare the dish.

IMG_20191224_173726.thumb.jpg.925db8b0e30d8c905b2ee33c544e6b7e.jpg

The chefs also sent out multiple gourmet hunters to retrieve ingredients which consist of Chestnut Mushrooms, English Mustard, Parma Ham, Shallots, Garlic, Thyme and high quality puff pastry from Lutie.

During the expedition to Lutie, the weather was very harsh with heavy snow storm with poor visibility. The gourmet hunters could barely see anything. However, there was a Wild Shiny Santa Poring which guided their way through the snow storm. Upon arriving to Lutie, the gourmet hunters thank the shiny santa poring that guided their way as they would have been lost in the harsh weather.

After chef Kero receiving ingredients from the hunters, Chef Kero started to prepare the pie by searing the big long piece of Berta's meat on a very hot frying pan on all side briefly just for nice browning colour around 1-2 mins each side. After searing the meat, brush English Mustard all over the meat straight after the searing while the meat is hot. (credit Magnolia for supplying frying pan)

IMG_20191224_185234.thumb.jpg.15d0baefcab8b871955329fbd3bacdbd.jpg

While the beef is cooling, Chef Kero blend a LOT of chestnut mushrooms along with 2-3 cloves garlic and 1-2 bulb(s) of shallot in a food processor and seasoned with salt and pepper. 

Once mushrooms garlic and shallots blended together, gently dab the mushroom paste with kitchen paper to absorb some moisture/liquid.

IMG_20191224_182530.thumb.jpg.7821f86facfc29d0f099f573bfbc6950.jpg

After that, heat a pan and put the paste in to cook out as much moisture out of the paste as possible. This prevent liquid coming out too much while baked. Also add Thyme while cooking the paste. This process takes a lot of time and is very important! No one likes a soggy bottom!
The mushroom paste is called Mushroom Duxelle.

IMG_20191224_194931.thumb.jpg.3e04c3f9a64e7ed853e67e058bf1b399.jpg

Once the mushroom duxelle is dried and cooled, line up parma ham on cling film then spread the mushroom paste evenly on the top of parma ham. Have I mentioned the paste must be dried!? Can't stress enough that it's very important! 
After spreading the paste evenly, place the beef in the middle and roll the wrap using cling film that we lined  to create a parcel like a candy wrapper. The wrap must tightly wrap the meat. After wrapping place the wrapped big  piece of meat where it belong.....in the fridge! for about 15-30 mins.

IMG_20191224_201409.thumb.jpg.0731a18634148bb1bc130651543b223e.jpg

Put puff pastry on top of cling film, placed the big long pice of wrapped meat on top of puff pastry. Time to wrap the meat again! same method use cling film to help you wrap the beef like a candy wrapper tightly. Place the meat in the fridge for an hour or over night.

Pre heat oven to 200 degrees Celcius or 392 degrees Farenheit, 

Gently brush egg wash (beaten egg) on top of Berta Wellington and sprinkle some salt on top.
Line the baking tray with baking sheet befoore placing Berta Wellington on.
Bake the pie for around 35 mins for medium rare or longer depend on your liking. I like my meat nice and pink.. Afer around 35 mins take out Berta Wellington out the oven and let it rest for at least 15 mins to make sure that the meat is nice juicy and moist..

As Chef Kero heard the incident that happened to the hunters during their expedition. The chef honored the shiny santa poring by making a puff pastry in the shape of it! 

IMG_20191225_165626.thumb.jpg.034dfcc38545fa7fcd4580c1728dd501.jpg

All of the Jawaii crew gathered up for the feast. Everyone enjoyed the Berta Wellington pie which was cooked with love.

IMG_20191225_165955.thumb.jpg.a56a32ff06cf5c5999552874e8ca9b63.jpg

Holly Molly, look at that meat 😮 ....
im drolling

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone.

Spoiler

I'm gonna have to throw the towel on this one. I can't, for the life of me, do much in the way of baking (or even cooking) this season. Lots of things to do, house is getting renovated, can't use the oven, tried asking if I could use someone else's oven, reunions with people I didn't bother to get to know the past year, a printed resignation letter (no signature yet), tried baking using a rice cooker, failed, searched the internet for some recipe I could work with before resigning to the fact that whatever I make at this point is so half-assed anyway that it's just insulting.

I guess I was hoping I could show my support to this server by joining this contest. Winter has always been my favorite seasonal event, across all games that I play that celebrate it, so I really set apart some time to participate despite the busy schedule that usually comes with the season.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it this year. Which is sad.

Even if I'm not playing the game anymore, I never really left you guys, so I was really banking on this event to at least do something fun with everyone.

Good luck everyone, and have a nice year ahead.

Also, nice entries! I've been meaning to make a beef wellington as soon as I heard about it.

Edited by My Wife for Hire
  • Love 1

After much talk, we have decided to extend this event to the 12th of Jan! 

Look forward to seeing more entries /lv

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone! I had a ton of fun putting this together. I hope its alright if I separate my story from my recipe, since the recipe is quite long and a little tedious. 

Item: A Chiqita Cookie Box
IGN: Ashadia

Story: The Tale of the Animated Presents and the Christmas That Almost Wasn't

Spoiler

The Tale of the animated presents and the Christmas that almost wasn’t

Back when Santa was first getting his bearings straight - being a newly minted bringer of good tidings and cheer - magic was a tough thing to calculate. He was just never sure how much joy and cheer to put into each gift for the children, and being jolly all the time sure did make it hard to limit his magical output.

You see, back then, Santa had the time to double check each good boy and girl’s presents before they were loaded on the sleigh. There were far fewer children asking for far fewer (and frankly less complicated) gifts. If the spirit hit him right, he would sprinkle a little extra cheer on the gift of a particularly good child, just to make sure their Christmas was that much brighter.

However one night, after an outrageously good meal prepared by Mrs. Claus (and perhaps a little bit too much eggnog), Santa was really feeling the Christmas cheer on his way to the workshop and decided that every child that year deserved something with a little extra Christmas magic. Not wanting to spend the time on each present, though, Santa decided it was better to sprinkle some magic over all the presents in workshop and call the deed done. He went to bed with a smile on his face, knowing that he had single handedly ensured this would be the best Christmas ever.

Unfortunately, when Santa rose from his bed the next morning, he was immediately greeted by a very panic-stricken Christmas Cookie elf. No elf ever wants to bring Santa bad news, and this particular Christmas Cookie has drawn the short straw before being pushed into Santa’s path by his brethren. The Christmas Cookie, known as Arthur among his peers, told Santa that, in the middle of the night, all the presents in the workshop had sprung to life and were now wreaking havoc on both levels of the toy factory!

Now the toy factory had long been home to the hardworking Cookies and Christmas Cookies of the North Pole. For years they had lived peacefully with the different-colored poring-kind as they worked together to bring about Christmas. With Santa’s latest magical touch, there was a whole new race of beings, who were just as confused about being alive as everyone around them was confused about their new existence. It was chaos. The Cookies were livid. And the porings had to fight for scraps on the floor in ways they never had to before. 

Conveniently enough for Santa, there was a family birthday dinner at the in-laws that he “just couldn’t get out of.” He left poor Arthur in charge of cleaning up the mess, instructions in hand, telling him to make sure Christmas was still special for all the children of the world. 

Needless to say Arthur was ready to crumple up the note and throw it at the nearest wall, but he composed himself and gathered all the Cookies of the toy factory into a meeting to discuss how best to handle the “package problem.”

“Look,” Athur toned to the gathered Cookies. “I know we’re all pretty annoyed by the circumstances, but it seems it's up to us to solve this problem and save Christmas!”

There was grumbling heard among the Cookies gathered as some shouted about the unfairness and others shouted out helpful ideas. Among them stood one, very short, elf with his hand raised.

“Yes, Lucky?” Athur said, pointing to Lucky’s raised hand.

“I just wanted to say,” the short Cookie stated, “That I, for one, accept our new giftbox overlords.”

He was quickly pushed out of the meeting and told to sweep the factory floor.

Sighing, Arthur turned back to those gathered and pinched the bridge of his nose. “I believe the only way to move forward is to un-animate the mysterious cases with stone curse, gather up their remains and then freshen up the wrapping and pop them back in Santa’s sleigh.”

Arthur’s proposal was met with head nods and mumbles of agreement as the Cookies turned their heads and looked at each other.

“It seems we’re all in agreement so, if you will, there are some stone curse scrolls locked away in the toy factory’s armory. Let’s get to work,” Arthur directed.

And thus began the great war between the Cookies and the mysterious cases, come to be known as Myst Cases. In the six months leading up to Christmas, the elves spent every waking hour attempting to wrangle up the animated presents and curse them into slumber - barely regarding the cases’ protest and the cries of their children. 

But the sorrowful words of the Myst Cases started breaking into the consciences of some of the younger Cookies and they called a meeting among themselves to talk about the war. 

“We can’t continue on this way,” said Bernard, one of the youngest among the working-age Cookies. “Don’t you hear them wailing? They’re hardly barbaric monsters with no soul!”

Those surrounding Bernard nodded their heads in agreement and mumbled their support, but Arthur was hardly swayed.

“We don’t have time to debate the morality of un-animated accidentally-real presents right now, Bernard,” Arthur sighed. “Christmas is in just a few weeks and if we don’t fix this now, there will be no Christmas!”

Mass panic ensued among the Cookies and in no time at all, the meeting ended without resolution. So, the younger elves decided to take matters into their own hands and find a way to help the Myst Case cause. In secret, they met with the elected leaders of the mysterious cases to search all of Rune-Midgard for the perfect peace offering between the two races - for Bernard knew that if the elder Cookies could see that the new beings shared the Cookie’s affinity for gift giving and cheer, they would come to see the Myst Cases as equal beings. 

After much back-and-forth, the small coalition of cases and elves went to Prontera to beg a master hat maker to help them with their quest. She agreed and the Myst Cases and Cookies set to work on creating a new magical gift that would give the recipient the special middle headgear they most desired (two percent of the time). 

With Christmas nearly upon them, the Cookies and animated presents took to the middle of the toy factory battlefield, new Chiqita’s Jewelry Boxes in hand, and called for a truce among races. One of the youngest among the cases, Cassette, marched her way ahead of the others and bounced straight up to Arthur. She had a huge, girlish smile on her face and her new red bow was shimmering in the light.

“Mister Arthur, my name is Cassette,” she said proudly. “I am 3 months old and I am here to give you a gift I helped make with my mom.”

Cassette held out the very special Chiqita’s Jewelry Box to the leader of the elves, which he took cautiously. He held it at a distance, eyeing it, before drawing it closer to his being.

“Open it!” Cassette cried joyfully.

Arthur pulled the top of the box open very slowly, nervous that something may pop out at him as a dirty trick. Instead of tricks or nasty plots, Arthur reached into the box to find a brand new pair of Robo Eyes, hand-crafted by Chiqita herself. It was something he had wanted ever since he was a boy. 

“Oh my,” he gasped as Cassette continued to smile at him. “I’ve always wanted a pair of these.”

Behind him, the Cookies started to whisper among themselves. Never before had they considered that the accidents caused by their overly-eager Santa could give such a marvelous gift. Maybe, after all this time, they really were sentient, caring creatures like the Cookies themselves. 

“I’m glad you like it Mr. Arthur,” Cassette said through a smile. 

“Oh, I do. I really do,” he replied with tears in his eyes. 

Carefully, Arthur placed the box on the ground and turned to face the Christmas Cookies and Cookies behind him. Putting the Robo Eyes on, he stood straight and fixed his gaze on the crowd. 

“We were wrong,” he bellowed. “I was wrong.”

“Ever since we started this war, we were all convinced we were just trying to clean up the mess that got left to us to solve. And we ignored the pleas of our brethren to think otherwise. But today, we have seen great kindness out of those who were treated so unfairly and we must admit that it is time to change our ways and our thoughts on this matter. It is time to end this fighting and to begin our work together to save Christmas!”

Cheers erupted from both sides of the battlefield and the cases rushed forward to present each and every Cookie with their own Chiqita’s Jewelry Box. Together the two races vowed to make more boxes for the children around the world and make that Christmas the best one yet. 

And thus, peace reigned throughout the toy factory as Cookies and Myst Cases moved forward in harmony and Christmas was saved. 

To this day, you may still find Myst Cases with Chiqitas, ready to carry on the tradition of giving them to Cookies as a sign of peace.

Recipe for: Chiqita Cookie Box

Spoiler

How to Make Your Own Chiqita Cookie Box (AKA a gingerbread box)

Ingredients

• 10 ½ cups flour

• ¼ teaspoon cloves

• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

• 1 ½ tablespoons ground ginger

• 1 tablespoon ground allspice

• 2 teaspoons baking soda

• 3 eggs at room temperature

• 3 sticks butter at room temperature

• 1 ½ cups molasses 

• 1 ½ cups brown sugar

Do you want to bake a boxxx ~

The Pre-plan:

There are several preparations steps you will need to take to ensure that your box-making goes according to plan.

IMG_1361.JPG.23bff830d0a15aeaee0a3ffc62ee8e61.JPG

Step 1: Take your eggs and butter out of the fridge so that they can get to room temperature while you prepare to bake your gingerbread. 

Step 2: Make a template for your box by taking either paper or cardboard and measuring out the length of one length-side of the bottom of the box, one width side of the bottom of the box, the top of the lid of your box, as well as length and width sides of your top. You will also need to measure out a base for the box in a sturdy material such as a thick cardboard or poster board. (Our measurements are: LS Base: 7 ½ by 6 inches, WS Base: 4 ⅞ by 6 inches, Top: 7 ¾ by 5 ½ inches, LS Top: 8 by  1 ½ inches, WS Top: 5 ¾ by 1 ½ inches.) Then cut out your stencils for your box and set aside. If you tend to forget things in the heat of the moment, I suggest writing x2 on your side stencils to remind yourself that you will need to make two of each side with it comes to dough time. 

Step 3: Grab some parchment paper and cut out cookie sheet-sized portions to later roll and cut your dough on. We will transfer the cutouts directly to the cookie sheets on these pieces to prevent any extra stretching or breaking of the dough. 

Step 4: Preheat your oven to 375 F or 190 C

The Plan:

Now that we’re prepped, let’s get to the mea--ahem, I mean -- sugar of this recipe.

IMG_1363.JPG.4b399f4b1a4d7b17bcc1cb4a7ea927ac.JPG

Step 1: In a large bowl, combine your spices and flour by lightly whisking, measure out your baking soda and set it aside. (Do not add it to the flour.)

Step 2: In a medium saucepan, heat the brown sugar and molasses until sugar is dissolved, stirring semi-constantly to dissuade burning. When the mixture starts to bubble, remove from heat. Add the baking soda to the sugars and stir until mixture is evenly foamy. IMG_1365.JPG.44e874c8677a89baa97ab1ed63f37ecc.JPG

Step 3: When the mixture has foamed, add the butter and stir until dissolved and completely incorporated. 

Step 4: Mix your eggs into your dry ingredients, then slowly pour the hot sugars into the large bowl while stirring. Continue stirring until dough forms and is even in texture.  

IMG_1376.JPG.a1b1f2896b781a96f4655f4b90ea1694.JPG

Step 5: Once your dough is ready, form it into a ball and then divide that ball into quarters. Knead each quarter before rolling to cut. 

Step 6: Roll out one of the dough quarters on a pre-cut parchment piece until is is ¼ inch thick, then use the templates you made to cut out parts of your box. Repeat until each section of the box is cut out and transfer entire parchment pieces to the cookie sheets. IMG_1378.JPG.b0e27a8a86781ebf855cf084318afd31.JPG

Step 7: Bake your gingerbread until the edges have slightly browned - about 15 minutes, though time will vary depending on the size of your pieces. Let the pieces cool completely before attempting to assembly your chiqita. 

Sugar is what holds us together ~

It’s time to make some royal icing to hold your box together.

Ingredients:

• 3 ounces egg whites

• 4 cups powdered sugar

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whip it good:

IMG_1382.JPG.f3dcdf4e0b1e8041a1b367ba8d2244f8.JPG

Step 1: Beat together egg whites and vanilla extract until frothy 

Step 2: Add sugar and beat with an electric mixer until fully incorporated. The mix should be shiny at this point.

Step 3: Turn up the speed on your mixer and beat until the mixture forms stiff peaks. This should take around 5 to 7 minutesIMG_1384.JPG.66d58aee0c00d1e40134f63402a4c3a5.JPG

Step 4: Transfer to a pastry bag with desired tip attached for gluing your box pieces together. 

Pick up the pieces ~

IMG_1388.JPG.cd169c14985874be1d0fb0d4ae96a22c.JPG

After your gingerbread has cooled and your royal icing is made, it’s finally time to put everything together. 

Use your pre-cut, sturdy base to begin putting together your box by applying icing the bottom side of your box base pieces. Start with the base sides of your box, using the icing to glue each piece together. Use mugs or heavy objects to prop the pieces up while the icing dries. Next place your lid top upside down and use the icing to glue each box top side to the sides of the lid. IMG_1391.JPG.7896d79b58a1e7774154620ca518f238.JPG

Allow all the icing to dry completely before attempting to put your lid on your box. Once assembled, you can decorate the box to your liking. We used some jam for the jewel and dyed icing for details. 

IMG_1395.JPG.17a84b2adac944fdc04a308604ac1299.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG.0361343a19c99e51d98206a3713bca41.JPG

Here is my final product:

Spoiler

IMG_1401.JPG.1cbe36840d7cbd43c681d4f18cb20eef.JPGIMG_1417.JPG.5628f800b592c5564b61a3b45d6db2bf.JPG

And it's inspiration:

Spoiler

1545744274_ChiqitaImage.png.f1b63456ba638219f3b7f9598f44ce98.png

IMG_1411.JPG

Edited by Ashadia
  • Fsh 1
  • Love 5

Posted (edited)

Hello, I hope you enjoy this entry! I had a lot of fun making this mess. :P

IGN: Ribbet

My recipe:

Spoiler

Camel Poo

(Cinnamon Buns)

Stimulant Ingredients:

Dough

-1 cup whole milk

-½ cup butter

-⅓ cup sugar

- 1 packet dry active yeast

- 2 eggs

- 4 cups flour (all purpose)

- large pinch of salt

Filling

-1 cup packed brown sugar

-½ cup butter

-2 ½ tablespoon cinnamon

- ¾ teaspoon nutmeg

Optional vanilla 1-2 teaspoon 

Cream Cheese Frosting

- ½ cream cheese

- ½ cup butter

- 2 teaspoon vanilla

- 2 cups powdered sugar

-brown food coloring 

(You can mix yellow and red and add black if brown is difficult to find)

Flies

-a handful of raisins

Step 1: Set out all of your ingredients, it is important to let the eggs, cream cheese, and butter warm to room temperature. Use a small pan to warm the milk on the stove. Remove from heat once hot (not boiling). 

Step 2: Pour into a mixing bowl and add in butter. Stir until the butter completely melts, then stir in sugar. Once temperature has cooled slightly add in yeast. Please note that if you add the yeast in while it’s too hot, it will kill it. 😧 It should be warm, not hot. If needed, you can add a little bit of flour at this point to cool the mixture to warm. Stir in yeast and leave it alone for 10 minutes to activate. 

Step 3: I like to use a bread hook because I’m lazy. If you have a mixer with a bread hook, you want to place your yeast mixture inside, then add eggs, salt, and the rest of the flour. Let it mix on low for 10 minutes to stretch and develop the dough. If you do not have a bread hook, you can knead by hand on a lightly floured surface. If the dough still seems too sticky after a couple of minutes of kneading, add up to ¼ cup extra flour. It should be sticky but workable. Cover the dough in the bowl and set it in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size. 

The filling phase

Step 1: In your mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and optional vanilla extract. I find the vanilla extract makes the spread much smoother. Leave mixture out at room temperature if you mix while dough is rising.

Step 2: Spread a lot of flour on a large surface. I “fold and turn” my dough a couple of times. The point is just to make the dough a bit more workable and into a more uniform shape. 

Step 3: Once you have the best rectangle you can make with your dough, roll it into a pan-sized sheet. It is okay when making camel poop if your dough is a bit thick, but try to get it down to a uniform level. The thinner it is, the more pieces you can make. We all know how valuable each piece is, so I prefer to make it stretch!

Step 4: spread on the brown sugar by dropping it around the dough, then using something with a thin flat surface to scrape it over the top. I used a thin spatula, fancy cooks might have a scraper in their kitchen. A butter knife works in a pinch, but be careful not to poke through your dough. Leave at least an inch margin of clean dough on all sides.

Step 5: starting on the short side of your rectangle, roll your dough into a giant log shape. It’s okay if it is not perfect, we are not making circle cinnamon round rolls, and poo shapes are forgiving.

Step 6. Use a pastry knife or dental floss to cut your log into even circles, you can leave them fairly thick if you like large rolls. Line your baking pan with parchment paper. 

Step 7: Get your hands in there and really work that camel gift. Unroll each circle and gently drape into your preferred poo shape. For 3D (pictured on the plate) start by placing one end on the parchment paper and gently drape it into circles on top of the first one, stacking each loop smaller than the last. To make the flatter shape, unroll a circle, lay the first “line” flat, fold each line over the first, making each line shorter than the last. See picture for example of shape. 

Step 8: Preheat oven to 350 F or 175 C Let the dough rise 30 minutes while the oven preheats. Bake 15-20 minutes (until the edges are golden). Depending on your oven it may take up to 25 minutes. 

Finishing Touches

Step 1: Beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla, powdered sugar until smooth. Add in food coloring if you desire extra creamy brown. I did not have brown food coloring. I used 8 drops of red, 8 drops of yellow, and 6 drops of black. You can adjust this to your desired brown. Red and black will make darker colors while yellow will be lighter in color. Please note it is pretty much impossible to lighten it once you’ve used a lot of black without making another batch of icing to thin it back out. You can start with your yellow and red then add black carefully at the end to avoid that. Once the rolls are removed from the oven, immediately spread the icing over, allowing it to melt between the cracks. You can add as much icing as you want! 

Step 2: Add raisin “flies” if desired. I suggest using almond slivers for wings if you want, I used melted sugar to make caramel wings. My sugar work knowledge is very basic. To make the wings I melted granulated sugar over low heat without stirring until it was a light brown. While the mixture is still hot, use a spoon or knife to dip into the caramel and drizzle it over your parchment paper into wing shapes. I browned mine a bit longer to make the wings dark, but it can make the caramel taste bitter if you aren’t careful. I didn’t use almond slivers because we have a nut allergy in the house. Those would make much easier wings though! 

So, they look pretty gross. They have questionable nutritional quality. But they are delicious! Flies and all. 

With warm regards,

Ribbet

Teh Story:

Spoiler

It was Christmas Eve in Talon, but Ribbet was not feeling the holiday spirit. Shivering, she pulled her generic temple-issued  robes tighter, the thin fabric doing little to protect against the cold desert night. Her eyes narrowed at the hairy beast she regarded as her new nemesis, the one delaying her from a warm fire. She fed him another sticky glob of the concoction she’d been assured would stimulate his appetite, “C’mon you stinky hairball, just one more!” 

He made a contented grunting sound as he mouthed the treat from her hand, coating her fingers in a thick layer of slime. His eyes rolled back and he flicked his tail, dropping a reward into her basket. 

“SERIOUSLY, another potato!?” She threw it at his head but the beast, who was typically slow, ducked with practiced ease. He went back to ignoring her, staring vapidly into the distance. Ribbet quietly cursed Saraman under her breath and shook her deflated money pouch. Resigned, she turned from the camel with slumped shoulders and trudged back toward town to buy more ingredients. 

It was strange how quickly one’s fortune could change in this land, she mused. Just hours ago she had been idly strolling home from Vein’s church, minding her own business, when a street urchin’s dirty fingers tugged at her robe and pulled her into the most gods-awful quest Ribbet had endured yet in this odd land. A small child looked up at her earnestly, lower lip quivering. It was impossible to tell the original color of his rags or hair through the dried layers of dirt. Tear tracks highlighted the only visible patches of skin. It was obvious this child had fallen on hard times. 

“Do you seek the temple’s aid child?” Ribbet pried his fingers firmly from her robe, pushing him gingerly at arm’s length. She schooled her look of disdain into a proper pious expression, priests were supposed to serve all citizens after all, and she couldn’t help but wonder if she was being tested. 

She didn’t realize then how much trouble someone so small could create. Apparently Karyn, the street urchin’s name, had been left in charge of his little sister. The little girl was cute, but not very bright as she had agreed to follow this dunce into one of the most dangerous dungeons Ribbet knew of. Thors, the memory of boiling pools of lava and corridors of fanged demons had Ribbet grateful for the cold night air. Death in the land of Talon didn’t mean the same as death did from the land before. Like all the other denizens Ribbet did not remember many details from her former life, but she did remember that. Dying here was still an extremely painful process though, and one Ribbet didn’t particularly relish. Karyn was unsurprisingly bad at directions, and it took Ribbet a whole evening of teleporting and running back and forth before locating his sister. It couldn’t be as easy as finding her of course, and that’s how Ribbet found herself on the most ridiculous of shopping excursions to feed to a camel of all things. Only the imagined accolades of her fellow priests in training kept her going. That old bat Acolyte Klift probably expected her to fail, and Ribbet would find the successful rescue especially rewarding to recount to her. She let the imagined conversation warm her as jogged toward the market.

Saraman was busy haggling over the last of his wares with a desperate looking man when Ribbet approached. She was honestly a bit surprised to see the dim glow of the lamp from his stall from across the market. The desperate man growled as he shouldered his way past Ribbet, clutching what he was surely charged triple for, to his chest. Thrown off balance, Ribbet banged her hip into the booth before catching herself. 

Saraman looked her up and down, letting out a low whistle, “I take it you found the camel?” Ribbet grimaced, remembering the state of her robes, now covered in multiple stains. 

“Is that your blood, or hers?” he asked as he pulled a basket of foul smelling camel treats from below the table. 

“Some,” Ribbet curtly supplied as she counted out coins from her pouch and slid them toward the merchant. 

“You’re a bit short lass, it’s 1,000,” he covered the basket with his hand pointedly.

Ribbet blanched, “That’s double what you charged earlier,” she replied, a bit of heat in her tone.

“After hours surcharge,” he drawled without missing a beat. He spread his arms out, gesturing toward the empty market. “You’re welcome to go haggle with my competitors.” He half snickered at his own joke, pocketing Ribbet’s zenny smoothly as she added coins grudgingly to the pile. He scooped out three more sticky blobs into a bag and tossed them to her. “Good luck lass, Ms. Ivory took pity on you and left directions,” he handed her a small folded piece of parchment and pointed his finger directly at her nose. “Don’t go sharing where she lives, she don’t need no fans knocking on her door all hours of the night looking for that soap of hers.” 

Ribbet didn’t bother replying at that, nodded curtly to him, and pocketed the bag carefully. Wearily she turned and started making her way back toward that blasted beast.

Whoever called this camel Silk had obviously never touched silk in their life, she thought. Clumps of dried dirt tangled the beast’s fur into long dreadlocks that framed the bulk of his dark body as a misshapen monster in the moonlight. He stared vacantly into the distance, in the exact spot Ribbet had left him. She approached carefully, not wanting to startle and then chase the ugly thing through a desert full of deadly sidewinders. They had slithered into their holes for the night, but Ribbet thought thundering hoofbeats might just stir the unwelcomed creatures back out and that would make this process much more difficult. She eased the first treat from the pouch, wafting it toward his face. “Heeeeey,” she crooned in her sweetest tone. “I brought you fresh baked gooodies.” His ears swiveled in her direction and a long string of spit dripped from the corner of his mouth. She gritted her teeth into a smile and dumped the other two treats out onto her hand, it was all or nothing this time she decided. The Silk Camel enveloped the treats completely, sucking them out of her hand with a wet plop. She snatched her fingers back quickly, again covered in slime, before he could begin chewing on them. Wiping them hastily on her already ruined robes she kicked the basket back behind him. 

GRRRRRRHHHHH, an immense gurgle ripped through the air from the camel’s stomach. His eyes widened and he made an almost human groan as three rewards plopped, steaming, into Ribbet’s basket. 

“Yes!” She danced giddy in a circle next to her stinky basket, inside now lay a fifth perfectly formed ball of swirled camel dung along with one of the largest potatoes Ribbet had ever seen. Ribbet allowed herself a few moments of pure joy as she plopped down on the sand next to her basket, grinning and exhausted. Life on Talon sure was weird, she thought, but if you showed tenacity, it was usually rewarded. She stood up resolute, shouldering her foul burden once more. 

“I’m coming Curdie.” She followed the first trail of dawn back toward Veins.

20191228_045742.thumb.jpg.90cd769d613cf42fa525fb39849bd4b2.jpg

A couple more photos

Spoiler

Shapingpoo.thumb.jpg.e5509246bce0836597c3ee104ef0c7ba.jpg

potato.thumb.jpg.3789218b5dacdc2afce8cbe294cebd84.jpg

Edited by Ribbet
  • Fsh 1
  • Love 3
  • No1 1
  • Wah 1

On 1/7/2020 at 11:22 PM, Ashadia said:

Hello everyone! I had a ton of fun putting this together. I hope its alright if I separate my story from my recipe, since the recipe is quite long and a little tedious. 

Item: A Chiqita Cookie Box
IGN: Ashadia

Story: The Tale of the Animated Presents and the Christmas That Almost Wasn't

Reveal hidden contents

The Tale of the animated presents and the Christmas that almost wasn’t

Back when Santa was first getting his bearings straight - being a newly minted bringer of good tidings and cheer - magic was a tough thing to calculate. He was just never sure how much joy and cheer to put into each gift for the children, and being jolly all the time sure did make it hard to limit his magical output.

You see, back then, Santa had the time to double check each good boy and girl’s presents before they were loaded on the sleigh. There were far fewer children asking for far fewer (and frankly less complicated) gifts. If the spirit hit him right, he would sprinkle a little extra cheer on the gift of a particularly good child, just to make sure their Christmas was that much brighter.

However one night, after an outrageously good meal prepared by Mrs. Claus (and perhaps a little bit too much eggnog), Santa was really feeling the Christmas cheer on his way to the workshop and decided that every child that year deserved something with a little extra Christmas magic. Not wanting to spend the time on each present, though, Santa decided it was better to sprinkle some magic over all the presents in workshop and call the deed done. He went to bed with a smile on his face, knowing that he had single handedly ensured this would be the best Christmas ever.

Unfortunately, when Santa rose from his bed the next morning, he was immediately greeted by a very panic-stricken Christmas Cookie elf. No elf ever wants to bring Santa bad news, and this particular Christmas Cookie has drawn the short straw before being pushed into Santa’s path by his brethren. The Christmas Cookie, known as Arthur among his peers, told Santa that, in the middle of the night, all the presents in the workshop had sprung to life and were now wreaking havoc on both levels of the toy factory!

Now the toy factory had long been home to the hardworking Cookies and Christmas Cookies of the North Pole. For years they had lived peacefully with the different-colored poring-kind as they worked together to bring about Christmas. With Santa’s latest magical touch, there was a whole new race of beings, who were just as confused about being alive as everyone around them was confused about their new existence. It was chaos. The Cookies were livid. And the porings had to fight for scraps on the floor in ways they never had to before. 

Conveniently enough for Santa, there was a family birthday dinner at the in-laws that he “just couldn’t get out of.” He left poor Arthur in charge of cleaning up the mess, instructions in hand, telling him to make sure Christmas was still special for all the children of the world. 

Needless to say Arthur was ready to crumple up the note and throw it at the nearest wall, but he composed himself and gathered all the Cookies of the toy factory into a meeting to discuss how best to handle the “package problem.”

“Look,” Athur toned to the gathered Cookies. “I know we’re all pretty annoyed by the circumstances, but it seems it's up to us to solve this problem and save Christmas!”

There was grumbling heard among the Cookies gathered as some shouted about the unfairness and others shouted out helpful ideas. Among them stood one, very short, elf with his hand raised.

“Yes, Lucky?” Athur said, pointing to Lucky’s raised hand.

“I just wanted to say,” the short Cookie stated, “That I, for one, accept our new giftbox overlords.”

He was quickly pushed out of the meeting and told to sweep the factory floor.

Sighing, Arthur turned back to those gathered and pinched the bridge of his nose. “I believe the only way to move forward is to un-animate the mysterious cases with stone curse, gather up their remains and then freshen up the wrapping and pop them back in Santa’s sleigh.”

Arthur’s proposal was met with head nods and mumbles of agreement as the Cookies turned their heads and looked at each other.

“It seems we’re all in agreement so, if you will, there are some stone curse scrolls locked away in the toy factory’s armory. Let’s get to work,” Arthur directed.

And thus began the great war between the Cookies and the mysterious cases, come to be known as Myst Cases. In the six months leading up to Christmas, the elves spent every waking hour attempting to wrangle up the animated presents and curse them into slumber - barely regarding the cases’ protest and the cries of their children. 

But the sorrowful words of the Myst Cases started breaking into the consciences of some of the younger Cookies and they called a meeting among themselves to talk about the war. 

“We can’t continue on this way,” said Bernard, one of the youngest among the working-age Cookies. “Don’t you hear them wailing? They’re hardly barbaric monsters with no soul!”

Those surrounding Bernard nodded their heads in agreement and mumbled their support, but Arthur was hardly swayed.

“We don’t have time to debate the morality of un-animated accidentally-real presents right now, Bernard,” Arthur sighed. “Christmas is in just a few weeks and if we don’t fix this now, there will be no Christmas!”

Mass panic ensued among the Cookies and in no time at all, the meeting ended without resolution. So, the younger elves decided to take matters into their own hands and find a way to help the Myst Case cause. In secret, they met with the elected leaders of the mysterious cases to search all of Rune-Midgard for the perfect peace offering between the two races - for Bernard knew that if the elder Cookies could see that the new beings shared the Cookie’s affinity for gift giving and cheer, they would come to see the Myst Cases as equal beings. 

After much back-and-forth, the small coalition of cases and elves went to Prontera to beg a master hat maker to help them with their quest. She agreed and the Myst Cases and Cookies set to work on creating a new magical gift that would give the recipient the special middle headgear they most desired (two percent of the time). 

With Christmas nearly upon them, the Cookies and animated presents took to the middle of the toy factory battlefield, new Chiqita’s Jewelry Boxes in hand, and called for a truce among races. One of the youngest among the cases, Cassette, marched her way ahead of the others and bounced straight up to Arthur. She had a huge, girlish smile on her face and her new red bow was shimmering in the light.

“Mister Arthur, my name is Cassette,” she said proudly. “I am 3 months old and I am here to give you a gift I helped make with my mom.”

Cassette held out the very special Chiqita’s Jewelry Box to the leader of the elves, which he took cautiously. He held it at a distance, eyeing it, before drawing it closer to his being.

“Open it!” Cassette cried joyfully.

Arthur pulled the top of the box open very slowly, nervous that something may pop out at him as a dirty trick. Instead of tricks or nasty plots, Arthur reached into the box to find a brand new pair of Robo Eyes, hand-crafted by Chiqita herself. It was something he had wanted ever since he was a boy. 

“Oh my,” he gasped as Cassette continued to smile at him. “I’ve always wanted a pair of these.”

Behind him, the Cookies started to whisper among themselves. Never before had they considered that the accidents caused by their overly-eager Santa could give such a marvelous gift. Maybe, after all this time, they really were sentient, caring creatures like the Cookies themselves. 

“I’m glad you like it Mr. Arthur,” Cassette said through a smile. 

“Oh, I do. I really do,” he replied with tears in his eyes. 

Carefully, Arthur placed the box on the ground and turned to face the Christmas Cookies and Cookies behind him. Putting the Robo Eyes on, he stood straight and fixed his gaze on the crowd. 

“We were wrong,” he bellowed. “I was wrong.”

“Ever since we started this war, we were all convinced we were just trying to clean up the mess that got left to us to solve. And we ignored the pleas of our brethren to think otherwise. But today, we have seen great kindness out of those who were treated so unfairly and we must admit that it is time to change our ways and our thoughts on this matter. It is time to end this fighting and to begin our work together to save Christmas!”

Cheers erupted from both sides of the battlefield and the cases rushed forward to present each and every Cookie with their own Chiqita’s Jewelry Box. Together the two races vowed to make more boxes for the children around the world and make that Christmas the best one yet. 

And thus, peace reigned throughout the toy factory as Cookies and Myst Cases moved forward in harmony and Christmas was saved. 

To this day, you may still find Myst Cases with Chiqitas, ready to carry on the tradition of giving them to Cookies as a sign of peace.

Recipe for: Chiqita Cookie Box

Reveal hidden contents

How to Make Your Own Chiqita Cookie Box (AKA a gingerbread box)

Ingredients

• 10 ½ cups flour

• ¼ teaspoon cloves

• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

• 1 ½ tablespoons ground ginger

• 1 tablespoon ground allspice

• 2 teaspoons baking soda

• 3 eggs at room temperature

• 3 sticks butter at room temperature

• 1 ½ cups molasses 

• 1 ½ cups brown sugar

Do you want to bake a boxxx ~

The Pre-plan:

There are several preparations steps you will need to take to ensure that your box-making goes according to plan.

IMG_1361.JPG.23bff830d0a15aeaee0a3ffc62ee8e61.JPG

Step 1: Take your eggs and butter out of the fridge so that they can get to room temperature while you prepare to bake your gingerbread. 

Step 2: Make a template for your box by taking either paper or cardboard and measuring out the length of one length-side of the bottom of the box, one width side of the bottom of the box, the top of the lid of your box, as well as length and width sides of your top. You will also need to measure out a base for the box in a sturdy material such as a thick cardboard or poster board. (Our measurements are: LS Base: 7 ½ by 6 inches, WS Base: 4 ⅞ by 6 inches, Top: 7 ¾ by 5 ½ inches, LS Top: 8 by  1 ½ inches, WS Top: 5 ¾ by 1 ½ inches.) Then cut out your stencils for your box and set aside. If you tend to forget things in the heat of the moment, I suggest writing x2 on your side stencils to remind yourself that you will need to make two of each side with it comes to dough time. 

Step 3: Grab some parchment paper and cut out cookie sheet-sized portions to later roll and cut your dough on. We will transfer the cutouts directly to the cookie sheets on these pieces to prevent any extra stretching or breaking of the dough. 

Step 4: Preheat your oven to 375 F or 190 C

The Plan:

Now that we’re prepped, let’s get to the mea--ahem, I mean -- sugar of this recipe.

IMG_1363.JPG.4b399f4b1a4d7b17bcc1cb4a7ea927ac.JPG

Step 1: In a large bowl, combine your spices and flour by lightly whisking, measure out your baking soda and set it aside. (Do not add it to the flour.)

Step 2: In a medium saucepan, heat the brown sugar and molasses until sugar is dissolved, stirring semi-constantly to dissuade burning. When the mixture starts to bubble, remove from heat. Add the baking soda to the sugars and stir until mixture is evenly foamy. IMG_1365.JPG.44e874c8677a89baa97ab1ed63f37ecc.JPG

Step 3: When the mixture has foamed, add the butter and stir until dissolved and completely incorporated. 

Step 4: Mix your eggs into your dry ingredients, then slowly pour the hot sugars into the large bowl while stirring. Continue stirring until dough forms and is even in texture.  

IMG_1376.JPG.a1b1f2896b781a96f4655f4b90ea1694.JPG

Step 5: Once your dough is ready, form it into a ball and then divide that ball into quarters. Knead each quarter before rolling to cut. 

Step 6: Roll out one of the dough quarters on a pre-cut parchment piece until is is ¼ inch thick, then use the templates you made to cut out parts of your box. Repeat until each section of the box is cut out and transfer entire parchment pieces to the cookie sheets. IMG_1378.JPG.b0e27a8a86781ebf855cf084318afd31.JPG

Step 7: Bake your gingerbread until the edges have slightly browned - about 15 minutes, though time will vary depending on the size of your pieces. Let the pieces cool completely before attempting to assembly your chiqita. 

Sugar is what holds us together ~

It’s time to make some royal icing to hold your box together.

Ingredients:

• 3 ounces egg whites

• 4 cups powdered sugar

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whip it good:

IMG_1382.JPG.f3dcdf4e0b1e8041a1b367ba8d2244f8.JPG

Step 1: Beat together egg whites and vanilla extract until frothy 

Step 2: Add sugar and beat with an electric mixer until fully incorporated. The mix should be shiny at this point.

Step 3: Turn up the speed on your mixer and beat until the mixture forms stiff peaks. This should take around 5 to 7 minutesIMG_1384.JPG.66d58aee0c00d1e40134f63402a4c3a5.JPG

Step 4: Transfer to a pastry bag with desired tip attached for gluing your box pieces together. 

Pick up the pieces ~

IMG_1388.JPG.cd169c14985874be1d0fb0d4ae96a22c.JPG

After your gingerbread has cooled and your royal icing is made, it’s finally time to put everything together. 

Use your pre-cut, sturdy base to begin putting together your box by applying icing the bottom side of your box base pieces. Start with the base sides of your box, using the icing to glue each piece together. Use mugs or heavy objects to prop the pieces up while the icing dries. Next place your lid top upside down and use the icing to glue each box top side to the sides of the lid. IMG_1391.JPG.7896d79b58a1e7774154620ca518f238.JPG

Allow all the icing to dry completely before attempting to put your lid on your box. Once assembled, you can decorate the box to your liking. We used some jam for the jewel and dyed icing for details. 

IMG_1395.JPG.17a84b2adac944fdc04a308604ac1299.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG.0361343a19c99e51d98206a3713bca41.JPG

Here is my final product:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_1401.JPG.1cbe36840d7cbd43c681d4f18cb20eef.JPGIMG_1417.JPG.5628f800b592c5564b61a3b45d6db2bf.JPG

And it's inspiration:

Reveal hidden contents

1545744274_ChiqitaImage.png.f1b63456ba638219f3b7f9598f44ce98.png

@Ashadia I really enjoyed reading your story so much! I Just wanted to let you know, it really made me smile!

7 hours ago, Ribbet said:

@Ashadia I really enjoyed reading your story so much! I Just wanted to let you know, it really made me smile!

Ahaahahaha, thanks! I really liked the "flies" on your camel poops. I also feel really bad for your robes - whew the descriptions. 🤢 

• Love 1