Sign in to follow this  
iSigurd

Current player count - Autovend + Actual Player

Hi, does anyone have the actual values as per subject?  Planning to go back playing RO.

Thank you. :)

Does it matter? Hop in-game, check if people do the activities that you want to do and play. You can have 2k people online but if nobody is interested in the same activities than you then it's still pointless to play imo. Just my two cents.

• No1 1

I personally find this information useful/interesting. I was looking to come back to one of the old servers that I used to play on. Their "online player counter" showed 300 which I thought "cool, the place is still alive!". Downloaded the client, logged in, couldn't find a soul. Spent half an hour going around every town hoping to find the home base of an active alliance, but nothing.

That server has a list of all the players online, which I checked on their control panel, to reveal that 280 of those were merchants auto vending. If I had known from the start that it was 280 + 20, I would've known straight away that it wasn't what I was looking for as I'm not really a solo player.

Maybe for some servers it might backfire to provide this info (as it would've in the example above), but for an active place like TalonRO I believe it can only be useful to attract outside players.

Yeah maybe, but I know for a fact that we don't have 200 autotraders and 20 players. So that should be fine. 😁

Posted (edited)

I've been hesitating about whether or not I should be posting this for 3 days now, but...
After reading this thread I can't help but think: "TalonRO must really not be doing well, if such information needs to be withheld." and as much as I've tried, I can't get the thought out of my head... I'm feeling sad and I'm a little bit scared now. :(

My estimate for server population is around 60/40. I think there's around 600 shops, 400 players.
I've also heard shops aren't tracked, I don't know if this is true. In that case it would be 900-1000 players and who knows how many shops.

Let's also not forget this is a server that has a very wide international audience, meaning not all players are online at the same time of the day. I would double (or possibly even triple) these figures for that reason.

Edited by theakrabb

22 minutes ago, theakrabb said:

After reading this thread I can't help but think: "TalonRO must really not be doing well, if such information needs to be withheld." and as much as I've tried, I can't get the thought out of my head... I'm feeling sad and I'm a little bit scared now. :(

On eAthena we had a command that would count the players online and the shops. On rAthena we never bothered to implement that again. So the reason why this is "withheld" is simply that as of right now the only way to get this information would be to get into the SQL database itself and to query the shop tables to count the vendors.I  am personally not interested in such numbers, as such that's not something I will do.

When you log in the login screen should show you the current online count, every player is free to post that here. The amount of shops is probably 1/3 of that if I had to guess. So I am not sure what you even mean with "withheld", we are not hiding our numbers. Otherwise I could simply disable that client feature as well.

tl;dr: Server is doing fine for my standards, as long as the people enjoy their time and the server bills are paid I am happy. So should everybody else.

Posted (edited)

The health of a server is also somehow impacted by the players' optimism. 

The players encouragement is contributed greatly also by the players themselves. 

Be negative, let's not.

Edited by Ghaspar
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GM Boreas said:

On eAthena we had a command that would count the players online and the shops. On rAthena we never bothered to implement that again. So the reason why this is "withheld" is simply that as of right now the only way to get this information would be to get into the SQL database itself and to query the shop tables to count the vendors.I  am personally not interested in such numbers, as such that's not something I will do.

When you log in the login screen should show you the current online count, every player is free to post that here. The amount of shops is probably 1/3 of that if I had to guess. So I am not sure what you even mean with "withheld", we are not hiding our numbers. Otherwise I could simply disable that client feature as well.

tl;dr: Server is doing fine for my standards, as long as the people enjoy their time and the server bills are paid I am happy. So should everybody else.

True, "withheld" isn't the right word to use here, it merely felt that way since it was a pretty short and direct question that got an answer with little information.
I interpreted it as "You shouldn't be asking such questions." (Turns out, this is NOT what you meant at all!) So, sorry for that!
Thanks for clearing it up! I now know the exact figures aren't given for a completely different (and valid) reason! =D
"1/3 being shops" is a very useful figure!

Edited by theakrabb

The new official euRO (1 year old orso) has already less people online than talonRO, with a lot of them being bots. If you are a private server with more active people than the only official EU server youre still doing pretty good Id say, esp if the EU server is a year old and the private server 12.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 5:53 AM, theakrabb said:

I've been hesitating about whether or not I should be posting this for 3 days now, but...

My estimate for server population is around 60/40. I think there's around 600 shops, 400 players.
I've also heard shops aren't tracked, I don't know if this is true. In that case it would be 900-1000 players and who knows how many shops.

Let's also not forget this is a server that has a very wide international audience, meaning not all players are online at the same time of the day. I would double (or possibly even triple) these figures for that reason.

You're about correct and it's very worrying when an admin has to deflect so hard about the population. Truthfully 400-500 players is still very healthy. You're pretty spot on. With 1k players online approximately 600 would be autovendors. The admin deflecting with 1/3 is absolutely false on any server unless the server has some feature that bypasses the need to vend. The current (likely) 400 real players online is still good, the admin desperately trying to hide the real population is not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, omocho1 said:

the admin desperately trying to hide the real population is not.

Again, nobody is hiding or "deflecting" anything. The warp NPC in-game even displays the players per map. Grab that for Prontera + Payon and you have most afk people and vendors. Then substract that from the online number on the login screen, done. There is currently no game command to count all non-trading non-afk players. That's all.

I said it before and I will say it again: the server is doing fine. Nuumbers aren't everything and I personally prefer a smaller but nicer community over a bigger and toxic one.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It was merely a miscommunication, omocho1. I think you're making the same assumptions I did earlier. Boreas already responded and explained the reason behind it.
I'm gonna stand with 1/3rd being shops, though. I trust a database query over assumptions. =P

Edit:

I do agree that the first response "does it matter?" sounded deflective and should be avoided in future. I do not believe the numbers are 400/600, I only said that to provoke a response to the original question. We got our answer, so now let's please accept it and move on. I don't think it's very fruitful to discuss upon this further.

Edited by theakrabb
  • Like 1

Out of curiosity, I did count the slots for the major vending spots (the ones that you can !autotrade).
Assuming every slot is taken (which is not the case now obviously  because every vending towns except payon is not filled entirely)
checked 9:45am servertime today

(if you need the breakdown  message me)

GRAND TOTAL 698 slots

So you'll probably get an idea now.

Personally it doesnt matter to me for as long as i enjoy the game. 

AGAIN, NOT EVERY VENDING SPOT IS FILLED

Edited by Bobito
  • Like 1
  • Heh 1

I'm a little surprised about the headcount,  but I'm not really bothered by it. I had fun playing yesterday, and I'll have just as much fun today or tomorrow.
I think these numbers say more about Ragnarok Online's overall popularity, than it does about TalonRO's popularity specifically. We're playing a really old game, after all.

300-400 is actually pretty solid for 2020 RO.

Compare this to other pservers, I think we're still one of the most populated servers out there and potentially rival iRO itself because they keep punishing their playerbase for playing their game.

• Like 2
  • No1 1

On 2/9/2020 at 11:23 AM, GM Boreas said:

Again, nobody is hiding or "deflecting" anything. The warp NPC in-game even displays the players per map. Grab that for Prontera + Payon and you have most afk people and vendors. Then substract that from the online number on the login screen, done. There is currently no game command to count all non-trading non-afk players. That's all.

I said it before and I will say it again: the server is doing fine. Nuumbers aren't everything and I personally prefer a smaller but nicer community over a bigger and toxic one.

I agree with Boreas - it's better to have a healthy number of supportive, positive and frequent players as opposed to the typical larger volume which includes one-off players, trolls and of course the classic bane of any game being the Narcissistic cohorts (aka toxic crew).

Server count is actually pretty healthy considering it's a sharing caring supportive group with only the very rare idiot troll. This is something to think about and enjoy.

EDIT: Had to come back and make update as in all honesty how can anyone look at "current count" as a true indicative figure when tRO is a non TMZ or Geo based host? I live in Australia and work huge hours so when I have the pleasure to log in and play and say hi to friends server count is down. But then I log in at other times that coincide with peak located players and server is very busy, like VERY. It would be better to look at active server "players" (irrespective of TMZ and Geo location) as opposed to wow "only 300 on now". Massive difference - be happy that server is as good as it is, if quiet during your time where you live why not invite friends? 2+2 does not equal 17.

/spank

Edited by Spankerman
  • Like 1