Sign in to follow this  
braindead

Solo HW in Abbey03

Well hello folks

I've been playing HW since I started on Talon about 8years ago, and I pretty much played alone for most of that time. Since Iduna changes, I haven't seen many leechers or even parties going on at abbey03, so I figured I could make this guide and help make it a popular map once again.

This intends to be an in depth guide with both gears and strategies, so I believe it will be pretty lengthy.

Why abbey03?

Spoiler

Abbey used to be a very popular map a long time ago, when you could just drop AoE skills and tele away. This changed when they implemented teleport skill causing your AoE and ground target skill to disappear. However, the exp there is still quite good and the drops are not so bad either. It is also amap you can solo without crazy expensive gears, which makes it a nice place for leeching purposes.

Pros-
-Good exp/h
-Starting gears fairly cheap
-Drops are not so bad
-Has a safe spot *-*
-Strategy is quite straightforward
-Since Iduna map is kind of empty most of the time

Cons-
-Requires a long questline to unlock (with a lot of potatos and camel dung T.T)
-Getting to lvl 3 can be a bit hard (which means a very long walk if you die)
-Exp/h is still lower than odin03 or DG

I personally like abbey a lot, especially since Eden update when you can get a lot of hunting quests and Eden Merit Badges on the run.

Moving on, you might be wondering, why choose HW and not HP? HW has both pros and cons over HP as well.

Pros
-Faster killing than HP
-Strategy is simpler
-With this set, you are not limited to abbey03 forever, you can go many other places, and eventually start participating in endgame content like ET and GMC.
-With enough gears, you can try soloing as early as lvl 50ish.

Cons-
-Gears are just a little bit more expensive
-Can't resu without leaf x.x
-Need to carry suplies
-Needs dual or even triple clienting
-Needs to rebuff every few minutes

In the end, it comes down to preferences. I find HW much more fun to play than HP.

THE SKILLS
This is a list of skills you will be using inside Cursed Abbey Dungeon.

Spoiler

Storm Gust wz_stormgust.gif
Your primary AoE dmg skill. It will freeze non-boss monsters and push them away. Max it.

Jupitel Thunder wz_jupitel.gif
Your primary single target dmg skill. It will push non-boss monsters away, and will deal more dmg to frozen monsters. Max it.

Quagmire wz_quagmire.gif
AoE slow skill. It slows monsters down, which improves your kiting and running away by a lot. Max it.

Amplify Magic Power hw_magicpower.gif
At lvl 10, increases your mATK by 50% for the next skill you cast. It has a fixed cast time of 0.7 seconds. Use this when you see a room filled with monsters so you can kill them quickly. Max it.

Ice Wall wz_icewall.gif
Very nice skill that makes a wall made of ice blocks. It is especially useful to block narrow corridors and stairs. You will want to have this at least lvl 5 for when you run into Bee.

Safety Wall mg_safetywall.gif
Casts a pink circle on the ground which will block all mellee attacks for a limited number of hits. It makes you able to tank a few hits in emergencies. I always max this cause there's not many good skills to get as mage anyways.

Increase Spiritual Power mg_srecovery.gif
Increases SP regeneration. Max it. Not much to be said here.

Soul Drain hw_souldrain.gif
Increases your max SP and causes you to regain some sp when you kill a monster with single target skill. This is an optional skill to have, but do consider getting it if you got any spare points.

Soul Strike mg_soulstrike.gif
Single target skill which will deal more damage to Undead monsters. You might consider using this instead of Jupitel Thunder to finish off some low health targets and regain SP with Soul Drain.

Ganbantein hw_ganbantein.gif
Cancels ground targetted skills on a 3x3 area. I never used this in abbey but you might find it useful to get rid of a nasty quag or Evil Land maybe. Uses up one Yellow and one Blue Gemstone.

SKILLS I DON'T RECOMMEND USING

Spoiler

Meteor Storm wz_meteor.gif
The dmg output and stun effect can be good, but unlike Storm Gust, it won't hitlock mobs, which makes it very hard to land all the hits.

Lord of Vermillion wz_vermilion.gif
You might feel tempted to use this when you see a whole bunch of frozen monsters, but just use JT intead. The dmg is just too low.

Heaven's Drive wz_heavendrive.gif
Dmg is not bad and delay is not so high as SG or MS, but meh. Just use SG.

Energy Coat mg_energycoat.gif
Reduces dmg by a % equal to remaining SP, up to 30%. It is tempting to use this, but it will drain your SP very fast. Unless you wanna carry a ton of GJ, you should rely on your gears to reduce dmg, cause a Wizard with no SP = dead Wizard.

Water Ball wz_waterball.gif
Highest single target dmg skill you have. However, you need to be standing on water tiles to use it. There are some water tiles on the prison block which you can use, but meh, it's still very hard to use properly. I use it sometimes to laugh a bit xD

THE MONSTERS

This is a list of the monsters you will find inside abbey dungeon, along with their skills.

Spoiler

Necromancer

1870.gif
This is your primary target. Boss protocol monster which will summon 2 slaves. With the corret stats, it should die with one SG. It has a large arsenal of AoE magic skills. It can cast Quagmire, Thunderstorm, Dark Soul Strike, Fireball, Meteor Storm, Stone Skin, Reflect Shield, Slow Cast, Wide Curse, Critical Wounds and Dragon Fear. Fortunatelly, most of this skills have a cast time long enough for you to react properly and shouldn't give you much problem if you know how to dodge. Imo the most dangerous thing that can happen is quagmire right before you cast SG, so just pay attention. Fireball doesn't hurt that much, but you can't really dodge it unless you are on GTB. Thunderstorm hits pretty hard if you are on Devi, but you should be able to dodge it easily. Meteor Storm is not much of a problem either, as it's only lvl 4, but it can stun you if it hits x.x Dragon Fear will very rarely silence you, so carry a few green potions as you really don't want to be silenced. The rest of the skills shouldn't give you any problem as you most likely will be on bathory armor and IC. They drop Lich's Bone Wand, which can fetch you a nice price if you make it +9, and Necro card also has a decent price.

Zombie Slaughter

1864.gif
Necro will summon 2 of these. They won't naturally spawn in abbey03, only as slaves. Their Sonic Blow hurts a lot and can stun you x.x . They can also poison you. With Iduna, SG now will keep them away most times and you shouldn't get hit that much. They can drop Silver Shotel sword.

Banshee

1868.gif
Demon monster that has a very high movespd, aspd and annoying skillset. This monster has the most annoying hit sound ever, I turn off sound effects just because of them. They will cast Critical Wounds, Dark Soul Strike, Wide Curse and Evil Land. I carry some Holy Water in case I get cursed, it's an annoying status effect which seems to last forever. Unluckily for us HWs, their MDEF is very high, so it's pretty hard to kill. But, since you will be using SG all the time, most likely they will be frozen and you can just ignore it or JT to finish them off if they on low HP. They drop Mes[1], Orleans Uniform and Wool Scarf [1], an ingredient for winter scarf $.$

Flame Skull

1869.gif
This is the weakest monster on the map. Fairly easy to kill, I usually just let it hit me a couple times so I can heal with kaahi, and sometimes I target it with soul strike or JT to get some SP back with Soul Drain. It can use body relocate so it's pretty hard to outrun it, but shouldn't give you much problem anyways. Flame Skull card can be sold for a decent price.

Beelzebub

1873.gif
MVP monster. If you see it just run or tele. Hell judgement will most likely one shot you, and it can break your shield, so don't take any chances. It might be wise to make it tele using ice wall if it's close to the safe spot, but otherwise just leave it alone.

THE GEARS

This is probably what you came here for.

Spoiler

Before we start, let's take a look again at the monsters and their skills, so we know why a certain piece of equipment is here. All mobs in abbey03 hit pretty hard, so we need a way to reduce neutral dmg. Most of them also cast dark property skills, so having a shadow enchanted armor is nice. They have a lot of hit points too, so we will need dmg, and since we are a caster type class, we will need some way to cast our skills faster.

UPPER5013.gif Kaho. Not much to be said here.

MID - 5288.gifThis slot is optional. It is possible to solo without any mid headgear, but having one will definately make it easier. Some useful cards to use here: Orc Hero, High Wizard, Marduk, ESL, Myst Case (in case you are collecting loot), all in INT+1 slotted mid. Robo Eye can be usefull too. Just don't use Vesper card, even though Necros are boss monsters, their stone skin skill will already sacrifice MDEF, so Vesper will be pretty much useless. If you have absolutely nothing to equip here you can use Improved Opera Phantom Mask from Reno in Eden, which is very easy and cheap to make.

LOWER2268.gif This slot is optional, just use anything you have. Best is PCB probably, but you can consider getting +1 INT or +%mATK lower, depending on your stats. If you want to loot, you can go with something like Wine Cup.

ARMOR2320.gif Any armor carded with Bathory. This will make Dark Soul Strike and dark property attacks miss. I prefer to use armors I can also use with other classes, like Formal Suit. If you can get a DEX or INT enchanted one, even better. Also pay attention to the weight.

SHIELD2122.gif Many options here. Best one is probably Platinum Shield, cause it's cheap and has a very good reduction. You can also use Khalitzburg, Teddy Bear or Hodremlin card if you happen to have it. I personally think the best card for abbey is GTB. Why? Because Necro deals dmg mostly through magic spells, so having a GTB will negate most of its dmg. After you get how to position properly, mobs won't be hitting you that much, and having spell immunity can be very useful. You won't need to worry about quags and thunderstorms anymore. Notice, however, that GTB will make all your skills cost double SP. This can and will deplete your SP pool very fast if you're using kaahi, so beware. You should also not use Alice card, even though Necros are boss property, the other mobs are not and they will hit you really really hard. You can choose any shield you like, but best one for HW is Book of Charms. Again, pay attention to the weight.

WEAPON - 1628.gifMany options here as well. You should prioritize DEX over INT first. Some good options are Survivor's rod [Drops], +9LBW[x2Drops] or [x2Necro], the all purpose Dark Thorn Staff (which can get malangdo enchants) and ofc, the all powerful Staff of Magi. Staff of Piercing is not that useful here because Necros can use Stone Skin and shred their MDEF, so it will only increase your dmg against banshee. Also please don't use Staff of Destruction or any two handed staff, not having a shield will most certainly kill you.

SHOES2443.gif Any shoes with [Eddga]. You will want to endure at all times, because mobs are fast and hit fast as well. You should also have Sandals [Zombie Prisioner] to give the char you are leeching.
EDIT: So, after @Azgrim suggestion I decided to try out some other options for shoes, and you can actually ditch Eddga for some other cool cards. I did testing on both my 99 leecher and 80 lvl one, and it turns out that it really doesn't matter if you get hitlock as long as you have Kaahi and keep spamming Storm Gust. However, if you by any means lose kaahi it will be considerably harder going back to safe spot for buffs. This also makes getting to floor 3 a bit of a challenge.

So, all of this considered, you have plenty of options for shoes. Moonlight Flower card is a very good option which allows you to keep fast move after you get hit by quag (which you will, a lot), plus it gives you a nice HP boost and +5dex. You can also go for Gargoyle if you need that extra dex pump, Nightmare Verit if you want a bit more dmg, or just plain old GEC if you got nothing better. I'd personally recommend Amon-Ra card (even tho I haven't tested it myself), for it gives a decent chance of autocasting lvl 10 Kyrie Eleison (up to 10% chance if you have 99 base int) and it also gives +1 to all stats.

Notice, however, that you will need to be extra careful with your buffs if you are not going for Eddga. I'd still advise you to pick eddga as your first choice, until you get comfortable with the kiting and running around.

GARMENT - 2501.gif There are a few options here. You should first focus on staying alive, so cards like Raydric or Deviling should be your first option. You can also go for Lord of Death, which is a wonderful card. After you are comfortable with your HP pool and that you can stay alive, you can consider switching to something like Leak to max out your dmg. You can use any garment you like. Again, I prefer to use garments I can use with other classes, such as Muffler, NSFM, Beach Manteau (goes along well with Leak card), Proxy Skin, Diablos....

ACC2604.gif Your first priority should be getting to 150 DEX. You can use Zerom or Sting Cards inside Gloves, Orleans Gloves or Bradium Earrings (a wonderful cheap acc which gives you +INT, +DEX, mATK and has a good resale value) until you can afford Celebration Rings or Brisingamen. You should also get a Creamy clip for switching, unless you want to use super OP infinite fly wing. Another good card to have around is Vitata, but I don't personally like it, cause it will only heal you for about 300 350 hp at most. I also used to carry an Osiris card just to use Increase Agi, but this is optional.

You might consider getting some cheap stat food like Mastela Fruit Wine or Green Salad. Last time I checked they sold for about 50k ea, but the buff is really worth it. You can try some lower lvl food too, like Honey Grape Juice or Fruit Mix.

I'd say you can start leeching with as little as 100m budget. Your first priority should be Kaho, then Bathory, then Raydric or Devi, then the shoes and acc. The rest of the items are not crazy expensive (most of them cost like 4 or 5m), so you can just grab them in any order you like.

SoM can be a game changer here. If you don't get bonus , it won't be much better than an overupped DTS with good enchants, but the SQI bonus are very juicy. I'd just advise you to maybe wait until seals quests are back before you dump 5m on buying essence from market xD

STRATEGY

Spoiler

Well, now you are geared, you know the monsters and your arsenal. How should you start this?

The worst thing about HW is that you will need a married Linker Slave, parked forever at the safe spot, and maybe even a priest slave too, if you can't IC without dex. This implies that you will have to go through the entire Abbey questline 3 times T.T

If you are patient enough to make it, you should now have a linker and a priest inside abbey03, just waiting to be used. Now we are ready to start. And well, strategy is pretty much straightforward. You get your buffs and start teleporting around, looking for necros. When you see a necro, cast SG and fall back slowly. With Iduna update, boss monsters don't get hitlock that much with SG anymore, so you will need to run around your SG to keep damaging necros. Pay attention to the skills they cast, try to avoid Thunder Storm and get out of quagmire as soon as possible. If you see a large room with a lot of necro, AMP first before you SG. When I first started leeching, I could not kill necro with a single SG, unless I used AMP first, but this doesn't really matter as long as you can stay alive and keep doing damage. As a general rule, it is nice to get an AMP SG on every chance you can, like if you don't have any aggro on you but you have monster on you line of sight.

After you kill all the necros on sight, just tele again, don't waste time walking. If you are running low on HP, find a Flame Skull and let it hit you a few times. Don't bother killing banshee, just leave them frozen, only target them if they are on low HP. If you have Soul Drain, you can kill Flame Skull with Soul Strike or Jupitel Thunder to regain a little SP. Always pay attention to your buffs! When they are close to running out, stop looking for mobs and focus on getting back to safe spot. After you rebuff, rinse and repeat 😃 

Sometimes you will die. And that's when you are the most vulnerable! Without Kaahi and Kaizel you're an easy target, especially if you can't IC without bless. If it happens, focus on getting back to safe spot, don't try to kill things. Use quag and ice wall on the corridors to run away safely, safety wall yourself so you can tank a few hits, maybe equip your GTB to avoid any long range attack, and, most important, bring supplies! When I first started, I used to spend a lot of suplies, but it will get easier as your gears get better. I usually brought 10 leaf, some 10 blue gems, 100 grape juice, 10 holy water (for curse) 10 green potion (for the rare times you get silenced) 30 CWP and 20 FW (for emergencies). This should be enough for about one or two hours of leeching.

If you run into Bee, run away! Avoid it at all times. Sometimes you have just cast SG, and it has a very long delay after you cast it, so I always bring Fly Wing in case I need to fly away from danger. If Bee is on your way to the safe spot, or just too close and keeps killing everyone with hell judgment, you can use ice wall to make it tele. Make a wall in a way that bee can't reach you, then just SG it and it will tele. I also use fly wing when I got stunned from sonic blows and meteor storms, for a stunned wizard deals no damage and will die within few seconds.

With my first gearset I could barely survive 3 hits from banshee or zombie slaughter, and getting sonic blow with anything less than full health meant I died and lost Kaizel. So I tried a lot of strategies to try and keep alive longer. I found it better to get %dmg reduction gears like deviling before I went for more dmg, because it does make a difference if you can tank one or two sonic blows. After this I went on to try a lot of different shields, and I really enjoyed using GTB. If you just perma GTB you won't have to worry about anything but normal hits (but you will lose the chance to have 15%~30% more reduction with other shields). The SP usage will increase a lot, but you can use your married SL skill to regain SP back every once in a while.

I haven't been to abbey that many times after Iduna, only with my low lvl leecher, but I did notice that Storm Gust had some small but important changes. Regular mobs now won't be scattered randomly inside the area, but instead will be pushed away from the center, and boss monsters have a bit of an Endure status at all times. This means that you need to pay more attention to where you're going to SG, so that you max the number of hits on necro and try to push the slaves back at the same time. It has also made Quagmire much more important, as it slows mobs and makes them get hit more. In general, I feel this has both up and downsides for HW. If you do it correctly, necro's slaves won't be hitting you that much, you won't get a sonic blow on the face and get stunned so easily. In other words, your general survivability is increased. However, it is a bit trickier now to make SG land all the 10 hits on necro, which kinda slows down the average kill time and, therefore, the exp/h. And well, even though I feel my exp rates are a bit worse, it did make my low lvl leecher life a lot easier, so I guess I'm glad xD

As for the pricing. I'm not sure what the market prices are nowadays, since I quit leeching a long time ago. I started charging 1,5m an hour when I had bare minimum gears, and went on to 2m/h when I got a few upgrades. And well, I just stayed on 2m/h for a long time, up until I got my SoM. I then started charging 2,5m an hour and quit little time after. Just be fair with your prices. Practice a lot before you start selling, and keep track of your exp/h. If you want to charge 2m/h, I'd advise you to aim for at least 100m xp. In order to hit that rate, you should aim to kill about one necro every 10s. There were many people back then who would try to charge 3m/h and couldn't even get 100m an hour, so at least be honest. Better gears will increase your average exp/h, but sadly there is a limit for how much you can improve. With 8x rates, best run I've ever done was 160m/h, which is still lower than most Star Gladiators.

I know it's not like a crazy money making machine, but well, some people might find it more enjoyable to play a class they like than to make 4m/h with the same build in Geffenia. I bought all my HW gears with leeching money, playing only HW, and it has been a good experience. I trust you will find it nice too.

And well, that's it for the guide so far! I will upload some videos some time in the future.

I hope you have found it useful😃

Edited by braindead
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Most of your recomendation comes from your playstyle so there is no "best" choice like pcb/devi/eddga and all that "catch as many damage in melee as you can" gears - it can't be best for me if I almost do not recieve damage. So as Vesper - never seen stoneskin and it always boost my damage so I kill more and faster. As all other equipment - for me it always be "more damage and faster kill = more exp/h". But again I never call my build "best" 'cus it always come from playstyle.

Btw about amp - that "fixed" cast time can be redused not by dex but sqi bonus or card like beerze (so as increased by phen card or orlean robe).

So as WB becomes channeling I don't recommend even fun it without standing in SW.

Edited by Azgrim

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Azgrim said:

Most of your recomendation comes from your playstyle so there is no "best" choice like pcb/devi/eddga and all that "catch as many damage in melee as you can" gears - it can't be best for me if I almost do not recieve damage. So as Vesper - never seen stoneskin and it always boost my damage so I kill more and faster. As all other equipment - for me it always be "more damage and faster kill = more exp/h". But again I never call my build "best" 'cus it always come from playstyle.

Btw about amp - that "fixed" cast time can be redused not by dex but sqi bonus or card like beerze (so as increased by phen card or orlean robe).

So as WB becomes channeling I don't recommend even fun it without standing in SW.

Well yea, all of this guide was based on my personal experience and a couple other leechers I know. It is possible indeed to ditch Eddga and Devi for other good cards, but I believe you are focusing on the late game when you have stuff like Sleips to boost your HP and taking a few hits once in a while won't be that much of a problem. When I first started leeching I could barely hit 4k HP with my HW, and without some sort of dmg reduction mobs would hit me for 1,5k+, so I would die in just 3 or 4 hits. Playing with glass cannon build gives little room for error, which I don't think is very noob friendly.

Necros cast Stone Skin skill when they are idle, so you won't see them casting this indeed. I've done some testing with this, the only time Vesper does make a difference is when a necro spawns right beside you and doesn't have any idle time to cast stone skin.

I will add this info about AMP, what I meant is that it's not reducible by dex. And yea Water Ball is very hard to use properly, I should have said I do not really recommend it, but it does feel nice to cast it once in a while and see that dmg popping out /heh

1 hour ago, braindead said:

Well yea, all of this guide was based on my personal experience and a couple other leechers I know. It is possible indeed to ditch Eddga and Devi for other good cards, but I believe you are focusing on the late game when you have stuff like Sleips to boost your HP and taking a few hits once in a while won't be that much of a problem. When I first started leeching I could barely hit 4k HP with my HW, and without some sort of dmg reduction mobs would hit me for 1,5k+, so I would die in just 3 or 4 hits. Playing with glass cannon build gives little room for error, which I don't think is very noob friendly.

Necros cast Stone Skin skill when they are idle, so you won't see them casting this indeed. I've done some testing with this, the only time Vesper does make a difference is when a necro spawns right beside you and doesn't have any idle time to cast stone skin.

I will add this info about AMP, what I meant is that it's not reducible by dex. And yea Water Ball is very hard to use properly, I should have said I do not really recommend it, but it does feel nice to cast it once in a while and see that dmg popping out /heh

For starters who like to solo wizzi (like me) I recommend Moonlight Flower > Eddga, 5 dex, boost hp and fast movement so as Leak for garment. As you can see in closest topic I prefer to play solo (1 client as well) and started as HW too. For me was usual to play solo as 80+ wizzi in abbey close to 140 dex and lower than 4k hp ressurecting big parties like King of Abbey Don's parties haha.

For me using Vesper boost my exp gain per hour close to 20%. Always.

So as WB - after Iduna it becomes poop 'cus you can't move and stack it like before =(

The guide is well-written @braindeadand is well-presented too. Though, I believe this could still further be expanded. 😊

As for abbey, I believe people started getting discouraged going in there right at the birth of Leeching Snipers at Thor's Volcano. Players looking for leech just isn't willing anymore to do the lengthy Abbey quest. and what's more is that Thors 01 is just a warp girl away.

I guess the down side of Abbey is that its popular sole purpose is leeching. 

Looking back when Abbey was still a very demanded place, it was really fun. I'd like to see the place being crowdy again. 

Adding the Wool Scarf as an ingredient in the Winter Scarf Quests is a nice strategy. 

5 hours ago, Azgrim said:

Unfortunately, after iduna, CTR (Cast Time Reduction) gears (such as Beelzebub card, etc) do not reduce Amplification anymore. I know this because my HW takes 100% CTR route instead of 150 dex to achieve instacast.

• No1 1

6 minutes ago, onetkun said:

Unfortunately, after iduna, CTR (Cast Time Reduction) gears (such as Beelzebub card, etc) do not reduce Amplification anymore. I know this because my HW takes 100% CTR route instead of 150 dex to achieve instacast.

Oh thanks for info!

Spoiler
6 hours ago, Ghaspar said:

Looking back when Abbey was still a very demanded place, it was really fun. I'd like to see the place being crowdy again. 

Adding the Wool Scarf as an ingredient in the Winter Scarf Quests is a nice strategy. 

Precisely my point /heh I intend to expand the guide in the future yes, as soon as I get to know how to edit those replays.

I don't understand it that well why abbey has become so empty, if you are just on a random party the exp/h may be way better than Odin03. I guess people are just lazy to go through a lenghty questline (which is not even the biggest in the game). Also, comparing to Thor leechers, you can start this build with as little as 90m zeny probably, which is a huge gap from thor leech starting gears. I notice too that most people who sell thor leech do it for 20~79 level, when the exp starts to slow down. Exp/h in abbey is at least a bit higher than Thor01.

I used to leech all my trans chars to 79 in abbey and I stopped going there ever since iduna mainly cuz of the perma endure on the necros. I just started going to DG instead. I'd also always leech to 79 using a non trans wiz that would get into the pipeline of going trans next time through cross trans. Kinda miss those fun days.

One pointer I'd add here, for people that don't have a SOM or vesper or even kaho. Explore the option of using isilla cards in your headgears, upper and or mid. Isilla procs a lot in Abbey, more than most other places, because of too many undead mobs each taking multiple hits from SG. Each SG hit on each monster has a chance to proc isilla. With a single isilla card proc you get 50% cast time redux on amp magic, and with two isila cards in mid and upper, when both proc it gets even better. Gearless HW can even use 2 isilla procs, with firewall on necros/undead mobs, to get insta cast without any other gear. Just something that people still low on gear or mid tier of gear can explore. :) (http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=item_db&item_id=4412)

• Love 1